Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM
witty30

Need to rebuilt or replace transmission in Austin, Texas

Hi there MCers,

My mechanic tell me I need to replace or rebuild my transmission. It is leaking transmission fluid (it's in the hull). He said the transmission is cracked, I think. Does anyone have someone in Austin they recommend to do the job for a reasonable amount? How much should I expect to pay? Or in the alternative, do you know of a place I could ship it to to have it done?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
Cracked....? You might want to double check that, never heard of it happening and the trans cases are way overbuilt. Much higher probability that a front or rear seal ans simply gone bad. Cost is negligible for seal replacement if you do it, full rebuild around $300. Not sure on shop cost, but would expect somewhere around $700. I think new trans are around $1,500. Will let others chime in and verify those numbers. Would be helpful if you verify the year/model boat you are talking about, I am assuming it is the Velvet Drive trans based on your profile info.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM
witty30

OK, maybe he didn't say it's cracked. It's definitely leaking fluid (red fluid), and he said it needs to be rebuilt. I thought my model would show up with the post. It's a 1994 ProStar 205 with a Corvette engine. Thanks for your input!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
How many hours on the boat? Is the tranny leak the only issue you have? I would get a second opinion, the transmission in your boat is pretty much bullet-proof as long as it was maintained and not abused. My 96 PS 190 has over 2000 hours and the only thing I ever did to the trans was re-seal it at 1600 hours.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Call the Texas SKi Ranch. Good service folks.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 209 310 Predator
I have contact info for a mechanic that works at Sail and Ski in Austin.....done great work for me in the past, and I trust him-Texas Ski Ranch will likely eat you out of house and home with their labor rate. PM me if you'd like some information on this mechanic
Old 11-10-2010, 06:27 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I assume it's a velvet. I rebuilt mine for about $180 bucks but it was slipping. If yours is not slipping but is leaking then it is more then likely a seal, front or rear. If you can ID where it is leaking from you might get away cheap. IE if it is leaking from the rear you might be able to put a rear seal in without pulling the trans. If it is the front and you have some tools you can replace the front seal for pretty cheap.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
It should be a Velvet Drive Borg Warner. Either 1.52 to 1 or 1 to 1 tranny.

www.ebasicpower.com

is where I got my rebuild kit from. They shipped it here quickly to DFW area. Rebuilt mine in a day. My case seal was leaking right behind my reverse plates. I have rebuilt about 5 of the same trannys that you have and every time I got my parts from them. Good service if you know what kit you want and dont mind not speaking with a person over the phone. It is an internet based supply house. I have also ordered many other parts from them.

The rebuild kit is not expensive less then $350 for everything. If you are handy with tools it is probably something you could tackle yourself on a Sat afternoon.

I would either run on the hose or on the lake and find the leak if it is on the outside or not. If on the hose remove the flange bolts on the back of the tranny to keep the propshaft from spinning and put it in gear forward and reverse. Looking for leaks in a clean bildge and find where the leak is. If you find a leak here it is more than likely a bad case seal. You can also remove the starter and feel inside the bell housing and see if red fluid is in there. That would indicate the front seal is bad, that fix would be less than 25 bucks if done by yourself.

Those trannys are pretty much bullet proof and I could not imagine how it could crack the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Last edited by Kyle; 11-10-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
I had work done at tx ski ranch and they are good people, I left my son with them 3 years in a row for camp too............ I would not bad mouth a dealer until they screwed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
I had work done at tx ski ranch and they are good people, I left my son with them 3 years in a row for camp too............ I would not bad mouth a dealer until they screwed me.
Hey TX got any KY?

Tags
leak, rebuild, transmission