Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-25-2010, 06:09 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200 VRS
Short oil filter and hose ?!?

First time winterizing a 1998 Maristar 200 VRS. I've read many of the threads, but I have a few questions:

1. The filters listed in the specs (for a 1999 MS, couldn't find a manual for '98) are PF25 and PZ3. I can't find them. Was sold the replacement filter PF454. The filter I took out (NAPA Gold 1069) is at least an inch longer. Does that matter? Can I use the PF454, or do I need to by the longer NAPA filter?

2. My oil drain hose is not long enough to reach either drain plug. I can't imaging MC installed a hose that doesn't reach. Has anyone bought a longer hose that reaches all the way?

3. In the bilge are 2 black "sensors" or something just sitting on the bottom. What are these?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
I'm not a home right now, but I know my 95 Maristar 200VRS has the longer filter on it. It was that way when I bought it used. I don't see where it will hurt any thing other than it's a tight fit. I keep a piece of clear plastic hose in my tool box for changing the oil. I drop the plastic hose through the bilge hole and then slide the other end under the gas tank.
Unscrew the metal cap on the oil drain hose and push the plasic tube onto the drain hose.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Not sure what you mean by "black sensors". A picture would help.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:41 PM
TT Newbie

Okay, thanks for the tips. I'll see if I can get a photo for you tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Hey Noel
Get registered - you show as a guest.

I use the longer Napa filter - I think the stock size correlates with the Napa 1060. The 1069 is the same thing with more filter area; we're not short of space for an oil filter, so I figure the additional area is a good thing. But, the short one is stock so it's certainly not a problem to use it. Napa filters (made by Wix) had a really good review in the Knize oil filter study

I built an oil drain hose extender with 3/8" plastic tube and a brass fitting from Home Depot to drain the oil. Yes, I've got the same problem as you. I screw them together, drop the tube out the back into an empty 1 gallon Oil jug, and let it sit for a few hours.

If the sensors are about 2" in diameter with a wire coming out of the top middle, they're probably depth finder transducers - normally there's only one, but maybe someone glued in a new one without removing the old one.

/frank
Old 10-28-2010, 12:38 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks, all, for the tips. I am a (newly) registered TT user... not sure why I'm showing up as a guest.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Hey Noel
Get registered - you show as a guest.

I use the longer Napa filter - I think the stock size correlates with the Napa 1060. The 1069 is the same thing with more filter area; we're not short of space for an oil filter, so I figure the additional area is a good thing. But, the short one is stock so it's certainly not a problem to use it. Napa filters (made by Wix) had a really good review in the Knize oil filter study

I built an oil drain hose extender with 3/8" plastic tube and a brass fitting from Home Depot to drain the oil. Yes, I've got the same problem as you. I screw them together, drop the tube out the back into an empty 1 gallon Oil jug, and let it sit for a few hours.

If the sensors are about 2" in diameter with a wire coming out of the top middle, they're probably depth finder transducers - normally there's only one, but maybe someone glued in a new one without removing the old one.

/frank
I did the same for my drain hose on my '05 xstar.....I couldn't believe MC installed a hose that was too short! I use a bucket larger than 1 gallon because you will get more than that out of your engine overnight.

NAPA 1069 filter for me every time.

Tags
maristar, oil change, oil filter