Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 MC X-45 LY6
Exclamation Winterizing 06 X-30 Ballast Tanks

Can anyone help me with winterizing my ballast tanks on a 06 x-30? From what I gather, I do not have have two way pumps. What I do know, is that water is sucked up from the bottom hull and ejected through the upper rear ports. I've read stories about creating a fake a lake, with plunger and tubing, which I am sure I can rig. I have also heard about hooking a hose to the t valve that is located just off the unit that connects all three of my ballast pumps. The t valve does not make since, it is connected to the outbound ballast line. Should I just wigger rig a plunge, tubing and fill a bucket with rv antifreeze? Any help would be appreciated. This is my first boat and im interested in learning as much as possible. Plus the boat shop in southern colorado quoted me over 500 to winterize! It's not a mastercraft dealer, I assume that has something to do with it. My email is jlee@hero-management.com if thats easier to communicate.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Here's what I've been doing on my 2006 Maristar 200. Run the pumps on empty until tanks are empty. Hook a fake a lake to ballast intake on bottom of boat and suck 1 gallon of RV anti-freeze into each of the 3 tanks. Run the pumps on empty until a little anti-freeze spits out the through hulls. If you're set up with a factory system you should have the two way Jabsco ballast pumps.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO2006X-30 View Post
Plus the boat shop in southern colorado quoted me over 500 to winterize! It's not a mastercraft dealer, I assume that has something to do with it. My email is jlee@hero-management.com if thats easier to communicate.
If it had been a Mastercraft dealer, then it would have been $750.

If you only have 3 pumps, then you have reversible pumps, and I think all boats in 2006 with ballast are run like my X45.

Sounds like you have found the valve where you can hook a hose straight to it and it will suck antifreeze into each tank that way. Study the hoses and you will find that there is a central manifold with 1 large intake, and 5 smaller hoses going off it. 2 of them are discharge hoses and have check valves on them so that air is not sucked into the system. Your hose hookup is on one of those. Just hook the hose up there and suck up the antifreeze like rgardr recommended.

Forget all the above is your is not like mine.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:03 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 MC X-45 LY6
Thanks for the help, gents. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

BTW...I thought the two way pumps pulled and pushed water out through the bottom hull. I read that somewhere anyway. regardless, ill take your advice
Old 10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X10, MCX, acme prop, Gatormat platform pad,
All three ballast pumps are reversible on my X-10. On empty, they simply return the water to the manifold located on the back inside bulkhead of the boat. (This is the same manifold that supplies water from the bottom thru-hull outlet).If you will look, there is a one-way check valve located just downstream from the thru-hll intake fitting before the manifold. So, when the water is sent back to the manifold when you empty the tanks, the water is then sent out the two sides of the manifold and directed to both thru hull fittings located on each side of the boat above the water line. The check valve prevents the returning water from being emptied out the bottom thru-hull fitting. Hope that helps.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Malibu
Since your boat is equipped with the check valve system to drain above the waterline running antifreeze through the system is important, as it's quite difficult to get all of the water out.

There are a couple of ways to do that depending on what tools you have access to. Pulling water in through the intake is the easiest though, and will do the job quickly.

Feel free to give one of our sales guys a call if you want them to walk you through the process on the phone.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
I didn't even know this valve was there until I took the ballast system apart and put it together decently. You have to dig for it, so it might actually be easier to put a fake a lake on the bottom ballast intake, but my 06 X45 had this on the starboard drain hose. I am sure it was intended to be used for winterization of the ballast system.
Attached Images

Last edited by TallRedRider; 11-01-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:49 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRedRider View Post
I didn't even know this valve was there until I took the ballast system apart and put it together decently. You have to dig for it, so it might actually be easier to put a fake a lake on the bottom ballast intake, but my 06 X45 had this on the starboard drain hose. I am sure it was intended to be used for winterization of the ballast system.
My 06 has that as well.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-9
Would an 01 X9 have such a fitting? I am going thru the same dilema - although mine is more diff since the water intake is at the rear of the boat and I don't think a fake a lake would work (intake is actually on the lowest part of the transom).
Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X-Star
The easiest and most efficient way i have found to winterize my x-star is:

1. Jack the front end of the boat up to empty as much water out of the tanks as possible.
2. Empty the water
3. Grab a funnel and short piece of hose (2-3)' and 3 gallons of rv antifreeze.
4. Pour 1 gallon into each ballast tank through the overflow port on the side of the boat.

If you don't know where the overflow ports are, here is an easy find:
Blow air into each of the holes. If hard, empty port for ballast. If air goes in and then
comes back out, overflow port (this is the one you want). If air goes in and nothing
seems to happen, bilge.

5. cycle each pump (one at a time) on empty until you get a solid antifreeze color (typically
pink for rv antifreeze).

This will take care of your tanks and pumps.

Tags
2006, winterize, x-30