Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Headunit problems

Hey Everyone…
I’m having problems with my XMD3 that’s absolutely baffling me.

First, I have a 2005 X2 with about 850 hours. Installed 2 wetsound 60’s on the tower along with a kicker 450M amp to go with the stock system this spring and we’ve been rocking all summer with no problems. I have an aux input (just using a 3.5mm to RCA Y cable) for the ipod we use to queue the tunes up. A couple Friday’s ago we were riding and somehow I knocked the safety lanyard off the mounting and killed the boat mid-holeshot. After determining it was the lanyard and not the fuel pump (thought I burned the fuel pump up and didn’t check the lanyard… idiot. MattsCraft remembers this well) I plugged it back in and we were on our way. Everything was fine except the tunes wouldn’t play through the headunit. Amps were both on, boat was running 14 volts and headunit was on too (turned to AUX, volume up on ipod and headunit). Couldn’t figure it out, so I plugged the Y cable from the ipod directly into the amps. WHOA tunes came back on. Validated both the amps and speakers were fine by this method… but nothing through the RCA pre-outs from the headunit. Plugged the amps back into the preouts from the headunit and tried turning it to the radio, FM, AM, CD all dead… nothing.

So I think I’ve determined:
Not a volt problem
Not an Amp problem
Not an ipod problem
Not a speaker problem
HAS to be a headunit problem… right?

Does anyone have any settings I can change before I go ahead and throw parts at the problem by just buying a new headunit? The pre-outs are supposed to be at 2 volts… right?
It’s not a HUGE deal and can probably wait till spring as we only have a couple weeks left in the season but it’s really bugging me…
Old 10-12-2010, 06:05 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Fuse blown?? I used my old clarion in an eco-friendly way................ artificial reef. lost a channel 2 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM
MC Devotee

Can't imagine it would be a fuse if the headunit was on... right? I did check those and they all were in the right position
Old 10-12-2010, 07:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X 15
Yeah you are right. It is not likely a fuse. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the head unit. Before changing it out I'd try both front an back pre-outs on the head unit. Check the fader settings first. Maybe only one set is blown.

If you really want to save money you could try the high level outputs to see if they still work and then buy a low level converter (some amps have one built in). This solution obvoisly results in worse sound quality, it is just a matter of what you are looking for. And most likely if the low level outputs don't work, the high level ones won't either.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Does that head unit not have a fuse on the back of it for the pre-outs? I'm not familiar with the clarion units, but I run mainly sony units, and they have a fuse on the back of the headunit.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 AM
MC Devotee

thats one thing i didnt check, does the XMD3 have separate fuses for the preouts?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:45 AM
MC Devotee

OK, I’m pretty sure that this is a headunit problem, I took it completely apart, put it back together and no dice (no fuses either). All outputs are dead (even to my new CMRC1-BSS remote). It’s 5 years old, and I think the XMD3 has had a good life.

Now, since I just bought a new remote… looking to stay with something that’s compatible with that remote. I think the CMD4 will do the job since it has the AUX input (want to control the music on the ipod, don’t want to mess with that direct connect stuff). Does that have the same wiring harness as the XMD3? Would love to have it just be plug and play…
Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I have a complete CMD4A for sale here: http://www.mastercraft.com/market/sh...p?product=3815

Tags
amp, clarion, speakers, stereo, xmd3