Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2010, 04:59 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
For the type of boarding I do (50' line 20MPH, no inverts or high end moves, just recreational riding) I really think a helmet is overkill. I have however seen how the sport has gone to long lines and higher speeds which would certainly change my attitude towards a helmet and would never fault anyone for wearing one.

What does concern me is the legislative attitude towards boating I've seen recently and hope it doesn't end up being forced on us. Last season there was a big push to make everyone in a boat wear a life jacket regardless of age because one person fell out of a boat and drown. While I understand the possible advantages of wearing life jackets and wearing helmets I hope it never is made compulsory. It seems like every time there's a tragic accident such as the one with the young women referenced in the link above, there's a knee jerk reaction to put everyone in bubble wrap. I've managed to make it this far without serious injury by measuring my exposure to risk and injury and operating my boat in a responsible manor. The last thing we need as a boating community is to have these types of devices pushed on us.

As a side bar I recently saw a neighbor's kid wearing a helmet while on their swing set as his mother was afraid that he could possibly hurt his head if he fell off. OMG what have we become.
Quote:
Helmets, knee pads and elbow pads. Don't leave home without them. 10,000 ER doctor's can't be wrong.

I'm sorry but on wake surfing? I've got to call you out on that. We're talking like 10MPH, right? I have a really hard time seeing how you can get massive head trauma on a 10MPH fall. On the other side if that's what someone feels they need to be "safe" I'm good with them using a helmet and would never comment about them using one (to their face anyway). Just please don't mandate that everyone have to use one.

Nice!!!!!!!!

I have a fairly steep driveway so I do wear a helmet and knee pads to snag my mail.....
Old 10-09-2010, 05:04 PM
MC Platinum

With wake surfing and wake skating the concern is the board and the face having an intimate encounter and a helmet does nothing to prevent that. My opinion its a waste for those activities and if you like it wakeboarding with stickers all over it rock-on...................
Old 10-09-2010, 06:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Thanks TX. I was about to call BS (blunt head trauma that a helmet would have prevented from a surf board coming out of the water and landing on their head, right) but apparently you did it for me.

On the other side if someone wants to wear a helmet surfing and it makes them feel safer then as I clearly stated before go for it. Not looking for a fight, not looking for a flaming response just my opinion. That's all. At this point it's a personal choice and everyone gets to make that choice for themselves. Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X-Star, Red and Black, L18
call what you want bt and x30 but if you live long enough and experience enough you will see many things. i stickered it up because i am a stones fan and it makes it fun for everyone. have you never seen a newbie scuff up the transome of someones boat because they were didn't know how to put on the brakes? i know when i traded my 05 xstar the prot transome had at least 15 scuff marks on it where i and many others when learnig plowed the surfboard into the rear of the boat. of course, special people like you two know everythhing and ride flawlessly. let's just leave each other alone and find someone we get along with better to communicate with.

"Tropic corridor, tropic treasure. What got us this far to this mild equator? We need someone, something new....something else to get us through" (James Douglas Morrison/The Doors)
Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-15, 1993 Prostar S&S
I am in the helmet wearing camp, at least on the hydrofoil. Even though I'm not doing any big tricks, I feel very high up in the air. Just got some new helmets from Bern (water series with ear covers) that I really like (not the one you've seen in my pics). I do not make anyone wear a helmet on the boat, but they are available in two sizes for anyone that wants (mostly kids boarding on our boat).
Old 10-10-2010, 10:44 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Rebels View Post
call what you want bt and x30 but if you live long enough and experience enough you will see many things. i stickered it up because i am a stones fan and it makes it fun for everyone. have you never seen a newbie scuff up the transome of someones boat because they were didn't know how to put on the brakes? i know when i traded my 05 xstar the prot transome had at least 15 scuff marks on it where i and many others when learnig plowed the surfboard into the rear of the boat. of course, special people like you two know everythhing and ride flawlessly. let's just leave each other alone and find someone we get along with better to communicate with.

Wow, might want to try a heating pad or something. I was not poking fun and you missed my entire point. What do transom scuffs have to do with helmets?? The only water sport I excell at is floating and drinking

Do you think Mick is cute????
Old 10-10-2010, 11:02 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Thanks TX. I was about to call BS (blunt head trauma that a helmet would have prevented from a surf board coming out of the water and landing on their head, right) but apparently you did it for me.

On the other side if someone wants to wear a helmet surfing and it makes them feel safer then as I clearly stated before go for it. Not looking for a fight, not looking for a flaming response just my opinion. That's all. At this point it's a personal choice and everyone gets to make that choice for themselves. Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:12 AM
MC Fanatic

this is truly amazing. ok, let's try a fourth time. get your pencil and paper out and try to follow me here. the scuff marks are indicative of the fact that many a newbie rider, including myself, plowed the surfboard into the back of my boat as a result of not knowing how to surf and therefore could have easily incurred a head injury. you and i communicate about as well as me and my many-years-ago x-girlfirend. i don't think i have communicated this poorly with another adult since i became one 30 years ago. this is amazing. be honest with me here, do you not really follow me or does the alcohol just make you think you are witty? maybe you should try the pipe and lay off the sauce.

"Tropic corridor, tropic treasure. What got us this far to this mild equator? We need someone, something new....something else to get us through" (James Douglas Morrison/The Doors)
Old 10-10-2010, 11:54 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Rebels View Post
this is truly amazing. ok, let's try a fourth time. get your pencil and paper out and try to follow me here. the scuff marks are indicative of the fact that many a newbie rider, including myself, plowed the surfboard into the back of my boat as a result of not knowing how to surf and therefore could have easily incurred a head injury. you and i communicate about as well as me and my many-years-ago x-girlfirend. i don't think i have communicated this poorly with another adult since i became one 30 years ago. this is amazing. be honest with me here, do you not really follow me or does the alcohol just make you think you are witty? maybe you should try the pipe and lay off the sauce.

I follow you dude and just for the record you chose to try and denigrate me with some alcohol/crack comments that is not indicative of "ADULT" behavior.

This is about the Mick comment isn't it.............. Hay if you find him strangely attractive its no-body's business but yours.........

Quote:
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:29 PM
MC Fanatic

im sorry, i was just being silly as i assumed that's what you and your cohort were doing. my apologies. on a side note, hay is not for me, it is for mr. ed. maybe we should both shake virtual hands and hope we meet one day and have a great day together on the water. we probably have a lot more in common than we don't. i'll bring the doors cd's along and leave the stones at home. and you can wear my helmet if you want. again, please accept my apologies. you would think at my age i would know when to quit but my dad always said i didn't. i reckon he was right. hahahahahahhaha