Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-01-2010, 08:47 AM
tarmand

1990 ProStar 190 Pops out of gear

Hi-
I'm new here as I have just purchased a 1990 Pro Star 190. The boat runs great with one exception; when I do aggressive hole shots, like for pulling up a slalom skier, the trans will pop out of gear for a split second and then pop back in again. I have made some adjustments to the linkage which have made a difference, but if I swing the linkage too far, then the engine revs too high before going into reverse.

The fluid levels are fine and the fluid looks good, I do check after running. The boat has the 1.52:1 trans if that makes any difference.

I am redoing the whole interior of the boat now and I am not opposed to yanking the trans and doing a rebuild over the winter, but I'd hate to do that if not necessary.

Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
When you say it is popping, is it actually making a popping sound or is it really just slipping and then grabbing again?

When it slips, don't let it do it for long or you will overheat the clutchpack and be rebuilding for certain.

Verify that the gear selection valve on the transmission is all the way in the forward position when you shift the control into forward just prior to hitting the point when engine throttle begins. If it is not going all the way, that is likely the culprit. If it is all the way forward, you will not accomplish anything by adjusting the linkage.

Are you checking the fluid level immediately after shutting off the engine? Fluid from the cooler will flow back to the trans pretty quickly and give you an artificially high reading. Low fluid will cause slip under load.

Finally, you might change the fluid, when you do, look at how much clutch material you suck out. If there is a lot of material, probably plan on rebuilding.

Enjoy the restoration process, if you stop having fun, take a break Not sure how long you have been looking/searching the threads, there are a lot of great examples, (this is where I have to link to mine).

Good luck, and welcome to the board! Be sure to post some pictures when you get her done.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
If you put the boat in gear at idle and it wont move and you give it more throttle and it jams into gear it is the front pump. If you are slipping in and out of gear you may need a rebuild kit.

Get it here it is origional parts and the price is the lowest. I went here when I rebuilt my power slot and they were great to deal with.

www.ebasicpower.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 AM
tarmand

It definitely doesn't "pop" so that was the wrong choice of words. It disengages for an instant and the re-engages. I didn't use the term "slip" because slip to me would be gradual like a slipping clutch. The engine does rev in the interim. Yes, I know nothing good is going to come from having a revving engine and a sudden re-engagement of the gears, that's why I'm trying to run this down.

I will have to run it with the cover open to see what the gear selector is doing when it does this.

Thanks, and yes, I will post pics. I only wish I had taken some "before" pictures.

And any idea where I can find motor mounts? They look pretty shot too...

Last edited by tarmand; 10-01-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I would start at Discount Inboard Marine
http://skidim.com

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 AM
MC Maniac

I personally cant stand skidim. Just buy the parts at either place. They both will be borg warner parts and will get the same thing accomplished. I seriously would consider buying a front pump for the tranny. Its the first thing to come off and the last to go back on. Seems I remember paying about the same for the rebuild kit as the front pump. I chose the rebuild kit only and had to take her back out to get the new pump in. It was a beating, so I would do both at the same time.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 10-04-2010, 03:50 PM
tarmand

I am handy enough for brute force jobs like removing and replacing an engine or trans, but I generally leave the more skilled work like trans rebuilds to the pros. I may yank it and send it out to be rebuilt over the winter.

Also, the interior refurb is going nicely... the upholstery looks great and I just finished the carpeting yesterday.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmand View Post
I generally leave the more skilled work like trans rebuilds to the pros. I may yank it and send it out to be rebuilt over the winter.
Nothing wrong with that; however, if you ever thought about trying to do a rebuild, this is the trans to do it on. They don't get any easier. It takes longer to clean it than it does to put it back together.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Ski View Post
Nothing wrong with that; however, if you ever thought about trying to do a rebuild, this is the trans to do it on. They don't get any easier. It takes longer to clean it than it does to put it back together.
In auto tech school the whole transmission thing killed me, but I finally learned it. The borg warner is easier than you think. Its the easiest transmission that I have ever worked on. I think it is harder pulling the transmisson out and hucking it around than it is to rebuild it. Save some money and buy a shop manual for it.

A little hint: you dont have to pull the transmission off where the bell housing meets block. Just pull the mounts off of the hull side, not side bolts on the tranny, and do not adjust the mounts at all. Then remove the 6 or 8 bolts that are where the transmission hooks up to the bell housing. Not where the bell housing hooks up to the block. This will save you hours.

By the way the power slot weighs about 175ish pounds. I picked mine up by my self.

You do need to put a stack of 2x4 under the oil pan so the engine will not fall back. A come along and the roof of my storage unit worked great.

For what it is worth, I would rater spend a weekend rebuilding a borg warner than a holly carb. Now I cant stand a carb work and they are too sensitive. A carb is something that I will just buy another one and go down the road.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Kyle; 10-05-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
Send a message via MSN to flyinryn Send a message via Yahoo to flyinryn
I would start by adding a little fluid to the tranny and see if this takes care of your problem.

This sounds like the same thing that happens to me when i get on the throttle hard, does hot happen at normal take offs.
I have a tiny leak at tranny that makes my fluid drop. i add 2 to 4 oz and problem goes away.

Tags
prostar 190, transmission