Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Question First MC - Fair price? 900 hours too high for 2001 X-Star?

I'm looking to purchase my first wakeboard boat and want to make sure to get a fair price. I'm looking to purchase a used boat that I could potentially sell in a year or two to upgrade or get out (if we don't end up being a boat family) without taking too big a hit on resale.

I found a 2001 X-Star that looks very clean. Only cosmetic issue is vinyl on back rest of back seat is starting to crack. They boat has 900 hours and they are asking $25k including trailer.

Is this a fair price? It seems high for me for a boat with so many hours. If not, what would be?

Should I be concerned about the hours? I think I'm hung up on this. In my area (short season), 50 hours per season is more the average. Should I expect any issues? Would my resale plummet in two years when the boat has 1000 hours? (I think I'm equating this to 100k miles on a car.)

Also, should I be looking to buy now or in the spring when the season starts again? If I purchase now, in addition to trying to negotiate the vinyl repair, I'll need to negotiate winterization and storage. What price would be fair considering these items?

Tags
hours, newbie, price, question, x-star