Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft 1980 S&S 351
82 S&S restore

I have finished freshing up the engine. (351 windsor) It is ready to come out of stand ...trans is apart now, clutch packs are stuck together but pump and all internal hardware are good. I am posting some pics with the hopes of finding out how close to original it is. I think there is a cover missing that went over the elecrical components at rear of engine. Also I am not sure how the thottle return spring was mounted. One pic is the before
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2010, 09:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
You are correct about the plastic cover on the rear of the engine. I have seen gray ones and black ones. That cover missing is not a show-stopper and I think it is there as a safety device for sparking.

The throttle return spring attaches to the hole in the lobe on the throttle mechanism and goes back to attach to a bolt head on the top of the block. The bolt head is about 4 - 6 " behind the lobe, straight back. It is not a stiff spring at all. I am going to shorten mine a bit to get a bit stiffer spring for a crisper return on the idle. I'd take a picture of mine and show you but I'd be a bit shown up by that nice looking engine of yours. Hopefully the internals are as nice as the external. Compression, etc.....

I can only suggest a conversion kit to an electronic ignition. A very good investment.

www.skidim.com for your parts

Damnn that looks nice. Good job. I don't see anything that doesn't look original. The newer and smaller starters are top notch also.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 09-20-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 PM
TT Regular

A little more info.....Compression tested good on all cyl. removed heads,magnefluxed,replace two valve seats ground valves,resufaced heads,check bearings and oil pump, new timing chain and gears, rebuilt carb, new fuel pump all new seals and gaskets
Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosofpayne View Post
A little more info.....Compression tested good on all cyl. removed heads,magnefluxed,replace two valve seats ground valves,resufaced heads,check bearings and oil pump, new timing chain and gears, rebuilt carb, new fuel pump all new seals and gaskets
Brand new engine. I envy the mechanical wrenching skills. Great job indeed.

Quote:
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 PM
TT Regular

I have that part covered but gelcoat will be a challenge.....i have been the buffee but not the buffer lol
Old 09-20-2010, 09:48 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosofpayne View Post
I have that part covered but gelcoat will be a challenge.....i have been the buffee but not the buffer lol
I hear you. For the DIY level, one can get a kit for buffing. If you have oxidation that is deep, wet sanding will prove a lot better and save you the time to buff (only to find out you needed the sanding). There are several threads on the forum about folks that have had successful results with wet sanding and refurbishment. It's more time consuming than anything.

Fiber repair is another story. I have seen a glass guy do work for me with results that were exactly what I expected, but I would never have been able to get the same results working glass. Find a pro...

Quote:

Old 09-20-2010, 09:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Great job man that looks great!

Where are you from?

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 PM
TT Regular

small town dixon il. I skiied behind this boat when I was in high school. Asked the owner to sell for last six years...it sat for twelve,mostly outside Time and money are turning out to be more than I thought hope its worth it ....wife is pissed too ....wanted pool
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 PM
MC Maniac

That boat will clean up nicely. Elbows and refreshments will get you through the boat work. The wife will require more coaxing. The blue doesn't look too bad. I have seen a lot worse unless the picture isn't doing the damage justice. Point is, a good buffing may do the trick but look at it closely. Time buffing is also time sanding. It is a nice looking boat. There's a thread here of recent of someone doing the entire rebuild from the hull up. Meadracing is the screen name. Search for his posts. That is an early 82 model (rounded corners on the windshield). I had a later 82 model with the squared windshield.

Attached Images

Quote:

Last edited by Cloaked; 09-20-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 PM
TT Regular

sweet boat late 82 - I think -had fiberglass stringers, padded engine cover and different windshield and probably other things i have yet to learn....... where can I find the cover that is missing on engine?

Tags
82 s+s restore