Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 PM
jdmcraft

Water coming in through gas vent

Hi, I'm having issues with my 1990 Tristar. It keeps getting water in the gas tank. I've had the carb rebuilt, the water/fuel, separator replaced, the tank emptied (twice). The boat runs strongly for hours but it seems that the water/fuel separator cannot keep up and eventually it gets waterlogged and dies. I've just drained the tank myself (I'm fed up with the dealer and local shop). I unhooked the hose that goes from the vent (under the fuel fill) and put it in a bucket and sprayed the vent with a garden hose. There was a significant amount of water that came in throught the gas vent. I notice that when I'm cruising at medium speed, 20-30 mph, the water splashes right up into the vent area especially when I turn to the right. Has anyone ever had a similar issue with your tristar or any mastercraft for that matter? I can't find anyone with a similar experience.

As another test, I'm planning to connect a hose to the fuel tank where the vent hose would normally go and just fasten it so it just vents higher over the gunwale so no water will get into the tank again (if that's where it is coming from). I will then leave the hose going from the gas vent outlet on the side of the boat down into a bucket. I will take the boat out and do some hard turns and see if water fills into the bucket while the tank vents safely over the side. When I get home I'll check the water/fuel separator to see how full it is. Ok. Thanks for listening. Please let me know if you have any thoughts.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I know the air/fuel separator like skidim sells works well for keeping fuel from sloshing out the vent when the tank is full. WOrked great on my '96 but I never had a problem with water coming in. Not sure if it's designed to keep water from coming in though.
They're $80 so I'd verify it will work first.
Could you put a loop or high point in the vent hose? Cheap solution?

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
I have owned a 1990 Tristar, I know want you're talking about. For others information, the gas tank is located in front of engine, were some ski lockers are located. The hose should turn-up, above the vent port (gunwall) as high as possible, before going to gas tank.

Another tip, requires re-installation of the vent. Rotate the vent, slightly towards the stern.
Then do the loop, like above. (This won't help, if you submarine, yout boat. )

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 PM
jdmcraft

Putting a high point in the hose seems like a great idea...I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll try that. I think I could also get a vent with a 90 degree neck (inside the hull) and turn it upward and combine that with a hose that goes as far up under the steering column as possible. Thanks to both of you. I'm still going to do my test out on the water to see if water is coming in through the current vent under those conditions.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
I would try to replace that vent line and take it high up so the vent is lower then the hose by making a peak in it. The higher the peak and the longer the hose the less likely water will be forced into the tank. Someone suggested it while I was on the phone.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 AM
jdmcraft

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of an online parts dealer where I may buy the proper tank for my Tristar? I'm still having water/fuel issues. It is definitely not coming in through the fuel vent. I think it may be coming in through the top of the fuel tank. I can see that a previous owner tried to water proof it with some sort of tar like substance. It was slathered all over the sending unit. I'd like to buy a new tank and rule out my tank as being the problem. However, I cannot find a tank online. I don't want to go to either of my local dealers (skipper buds and redline) they seem crooked to me.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcraft View Post
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of an online parts dealer where I may buy the proper tank for my Tristar? I'm still having water/fuel issues. It is definitely not coming in through the fuel vent. I think it may be coming in through the top of the fuel tank. I can see that a previous owner tried to water proof it with some sort of tar like substance. It was slathered all over the sending unit. I'd like to buy a new tank and rule out my tank as being the problem. However, I cannot find a tank online. I don't want to go to either of my local dealers (skipper buds and redline) they seem crooked to me.
Midwest Mastercraft Crystal, MN http://www.waterskis.com/
http://www.chicagomastercraft.com/
http://www.bayareawatersports.com/

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
How is water getting in but gas is not getting out? My tank is sealed. There should be gaskets where the sending unit is. The sending unit should be sealed. The gas filler tube should have clamps on it to seal it. The vent tubing should be peaked to keep water from flowing up hill to enter the tank. I would not put a check valve in the fuel line but I would make sure that my vent line was higher in one spot then my vent to keep water from being able to flow down hill to my gas tank.The screw in gas cap on the hull should have a gasket. How are you getting enough water in a tank to be a problem?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
I had the same problem with my '91 TriStar. Like a previous poster suggested, I rotated the vent towards the stern. Also, after comparing it with some other vents, I realize that the lower lip on the vent was broken off which also allowed the splashing water easier access. For good measure I scrunched up a small piece of rag and stuck it in the vent -- tight enough so it wouldn't fall out but not so tight it prevented air from passing. It wasn't noticeable unless you looked directly at it.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 220 Tristar
Water in Gas (tristar 220)

I have the same problem with my '89 220. I get enough water in my tank every couple weeks to cause my boat to stop working and for the life of me cant figure it out. It has to be the vent, I smell no gas leaking from the tank so I don't believe there is a leak.

Is it really that the vent is pulling in enough water to cause this issue? Do I simply need to put a high enough P trap on it to prevent water from back flowing in to the tank?

One other question, is there supposed to be a cover over the vent on the side of the boat? I simply have an open hole with a screen.... Am I missing a cover?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by tommyboy; 06-18-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Tags
fuel vent, gas vent, tristar, water in gas tank