Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1990
Speakers on a Ski Pylon

Didn't see a thread for this so I thought I would put one up. I just installed some speakers on my ski pylon for anyone interested in doing this. Ended up being pretty easy. I took a 4 inch muffler u-clamp and then connected a 1.25 inch pvc pipe to it and tightened it. This allowed me to attach my tower speakers to the pole like they would be on a wakeboard tower. I will attach some pictures...tell me what you all think. Doesn't look the greatest, but I think it will get the job done.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2010, 11:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Pro Star 190, 1990, Ford 351
I dont think it looks terrible... maybe make the PVC pipe smaller so its not so apparent. I like it though as I use a Skylon also...
Old 07-14-2010, 12:12 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1990
Speakers

Yeah I had thought about that but after feeling the 1 inch pvc I didn't think it would be strong enough to hold both speakers. I thought about using some pipe, but because I don't use my boat all that much and I am a college student I didn't feel like I was up to the task of drilling out a pipe and I didn't know how it would look. I might try that later on down the road though so I can make it the pipe smaller. Thanks for the input though. I'm not for sure if there is another post about some one doing this or not so hopefully we can all discuss ideas for a ski pylon and speakers. I am open to any suggestions.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
Looks okay. I would use painted aluminum tubing with polished ends to match pylon. I like your construction and mounting idea and may try to build that this winter when things get slower.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:04 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Here is my Southern Engineering. More pics under my profile in my albums.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Looks pretty good for southern engineering.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Looks pretty darn good. What material did you use to put that together? I am buying a stripper pole for my boat as soon as I find a deal on a used one and will certainly be doing something to add some speakers.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-14-2010, 12:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Pro Star 190, 1990, Ford 351
Quote:
Yeah I had thought about that but after feeling the 1 inch pvc I didn't think it would be strong enough to hold both speakers. I thought about using some pipe, but because I don't use my boat all that much and I am a college student I didn't feel like I was up to the task of drilling out a pipe and I didn't know how it would look. I might try that later on down the road though so I can make it the pipe smaller. Thanks for the input though. I'm not for sure if there is another post about some one doing this or not so hopefully we can all discuss ideas for a ski pylon and speakers. I am open to any suggestions.
I totally agee on the diameter of the PVC. I was hinting more towards the length of the PVC...looks like there is some room to cut off some.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:04 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Looks pretty darn good. What material did you use to put that together? I am buying a stripper pole for my boat as soon as I find a deal on a used one and will certainly be doing something to add some speakers.
I made a skeleton out of 2 pieces of wood and I think a 6.4 or 7" irrigation pipe with a cap on the other end. I never took pics because I was too afraid that it would become a total failure. I then used screen that is on the outside of your house that covers your windows. I screwed the pipe to the wood and wraped the screen over the skeleton. After a few coats of fiberglass resin I added some sheets of fiberglass and did a lot of sanding. Used some bondo filler and sanded it down nice. I used to have it base coated and cleared with black but putting it up and down at the lake caused scratches fast. I then took it to linex truck bed liner place and had it sprayed. I made it stronger and I dont ever worry about scratching it.

I took the racks off of the factory skylon bracket and drilled out bigger holes in the bracket so I could use a nut and bolt set up. The enclosure is bolted in between the bracket and the wakeboard rack.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 07-14-2010, 03:10 PM
MC Maniac

I am not doggin on anyones work here but as suggested before the pipes on the side may be too long. I know from my set up that the rope kept on getting caught on everything. I had to play with my set up a few times to get the right height for everything. Just an idea.
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:

Tags
ski pylon, speakers