Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2010, 01:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
http://www.wakemakers.com/johnson-ul...last-pump.html

They are cheaper too and will plug right into your current ballast puppy plug. Would be the way I would go.
They aren't any cheaper. They do quote 12 GPM instead of 11, but who knows if that translates to any significant real world increase in flow.

Wakemakers has them for $212, Quick search found the Jabsco for $209.
http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-18220-1.../dp/B000O8DC6M

It is good to know there is another option, although I think I would withold judgement about them being any faster or any cheaper yet. Who wants to buy these and do a head to head challenge?
Old 05-15-2010, 06:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Anyone got a picture of where they're remounting the pumps to? Mine is mount upside down and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get to buy a new $200 pump. I noticed the new boats are coming with the pumps mounted high on the transom behind the motor.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Anyone got a picture of where they're remounting the pumps to? Mine is mount upside down and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get to buy a new $200 pump. I noticed the new boats are coming with the pumps mounted high on the transom behind the motor.
Hilarious. That is where my 2006 has the pumps, up high behind the motor. But they glassed in a couple of pieces of backing material, 1 larger piece on the port side and 1 on the starboard. The port side piece was too small in 2006. The 2 pumps on the port side can be made to fit properly if you have good flexible hose, but the hose has to immediately bend around the pump next to it, so the stock hose probably won't work well. I got some of this stuff and have found it to be more flexible and it also will not kink in tight bends.

Something like this. Interestlingly enough, Lowe's keeps this stuff in the garden section at my store. http://www.hosexpress.com/pvchose/seriescf.htm
Old 07-06-2010, 05:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRedRider View Post
They aren't any cheaper. They do quote 12 GPM instead of 11, but who knows if that translates to any significant real world increase in flow.

Wakemakers has them for $212, Quick search found the Jabsco for $209.
http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-18220-1.../dp/B000O8DC6M

It is good to know there is another option, although I think I would withold judgement about them being any faster or any cheaper yet. Who wants to buy these and do a head to head challenge?
After my 3rd pump failure, I'm thinking about switching to the Johnson's..... Maybe MC should think about doing the same?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Anyone try reversing the flow by just flipping the pump(s) over and hooking back up yet?
Looks like less work than re-plumbing everything. 2 way pump, should work right? Then just flip the leads on the switch so fill is fill again and empty is empty.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Anyone try reversing the flow by just flipping the pump(s) over and hooking back up yet?
Looks like less work than re-plumbing everything. 2 way pump, should work right? Then just flip the leads on the switch so fill is fill again and empty is empty.
You could do that but the problem (at least on mine) was that you cannot have 2 pumps in the same area because the outlets need a greater width. The mounting plate was simply too small, so they resorted to putting one pump upside down.

In fact, when I mounted mine properly, the hoses were backwards. So I just reversed the wires and all is good.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:25 AM
MC Maniac

Yeah, my back pumps wouldn't mount up the same way because the backing plates are too small, but I was thinking if I flipped them, could just strap the pump motor down to the backing plates with some plumbers strap or something. Get some time I'm going to try it, hopefully before a seal leaks and takes out a pump.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Yeah, my back pumps wouldn't mount up the same way because the backing plates are too small, but I was thinking if I flipped them, could just strap the pump motor down to the backing plates with some plumbers strap or something. Get some time I'm going to try it, hopefully before a seal leaks and takes out a pump.
Great idea. Let us know if you can get enough grip to stop it from sliding down. That would seem like a good solution. I bet you could if you put some 2 sided tape under the plumber's strap or something like that then it would stick tight. Then the outlets would not line up and problem solved!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:49 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRedRider View Post
Great idea. Let us know if you can get enough grip to stop it from sliding down. That would seem like a good solution. I bet you could if you put some 2 sided tape under the plumber's strap or something like that then it would stick tight. Then the outlets would not line up and problem solved!
I don't see having the time soon to work on it, but my thinking was to screw the strap in where it doesn't "bottom out" on the mounting surface, so it should tighten more with every turn of the screw. Some foam camper weatherseal tape or something similar would provide some grip too.

Tags
2006, ballast, pump, x-1