Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-09-2010, 02:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2 350
Blown motor 08X2 400 hours.

Last month my engine started knocking after a day on the water, no alarms, no warning signs. The 400 hour 350 MCX engine has been maintained at regular intervals.Orginally it was thought to be under warranty but in the end I paid the bill. The cheap plastic intake screen on the botom of the boat was broke from an unkown object. Weeds were allowed to pass right into the cooling system eventually clogging the transmission cooler and then overheating the motor. THe argument that I have is why wouldn't the temp sender be able to pick up on the high temp? (it was tested and found to be in working condition and no codes showed up on diagnostics of the engine) THe plastic screen has been replaced with the brass intake that is on most of MasterCraft boats. Why they went plastic is beyond me.
SO lessons learned:
1. clean and inspect transmission cooler screen periodically
2. fully inspect under boat each time you pull it out of the water. (I do this everytime ,but the trailer bunks block the view of the intake unless you really get under it.
3. If you have the plastic intake screen replace it !

Check out the pics!
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
wow, that is hard to believe.

i have a 07 x2 and i guess i need to start checking in plastic intake on the bottom of my boat.

sorry to hear about your problems.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I don't understand why you didn't get a temp alarm...

Those weeds caused the same problem as losing an impellar, and I know I got an alarm and "limp mode" when my impellar blew.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdevro View Post
............ THe argument that I have is why wouldn't the temp sender be able to pick up on the high temp?..............
The water temp sender wont see the high temp if there isnt a water flow. I have seen this happen before, but that was on an older boat.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1983 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes
It's called an Intake Water Strainer

Last edited by bxroads; 06-09-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x30 2006 mcx
wow that really stinks for you!!!! I have an 06 X30 and I think it has the brass screen but I perioically check the intake screen. What amazes me is your temp gauge did not increase-did they say why? Does your lake have alot of debris?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Wow. I check my cooler every few times out. I would have definitely thought a high temp alarm or gauge pegged would have been seen or heard. If there is no water flow you can also hear the motor get abnormally louder, granted that the stereo is not blasting.

Sorry for your luck! A strainer has been on my list, but I have just not found a unit that is compact enough and quality built. After reading here, it seems the OEM strainer MC is putting on it's boats leaves somethings to be desired.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2 350
My mechanic (not dealer)is going to install a water intake strainer. Most of the high performance race boats have whats called a sea strainer with a flow sensor built for saltwater- probably go with that. My boat spends its time on the Colorado River in Parker, AZ so you can always count on plastic bags, beer cups, and other misc. debri. I think Ski King is right with the temp only being able to read liquid correctly rather than air, adding the flow meter would solve any discrepencies. After spending 5 years of my life drviving a nuclear submarine I tend always watch the guages. And yes the stereo was blasting most of the day.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxroads View Post
It's called an Intake Water Strainer

I like this setup, and the fact that it has a water valve to shut off the intake supply. Would be a good thing to have if the raw water supply hose had an issue.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-09-2010, 04:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdevro View Post
My mechanic (not dealer)is going to install a water intake strainer. Most of the high performance race boats have whats called a sea strainer with a flow sensor built for saltwater- probably go with that. My boat spends its time on the Colorado River in Parker, AZ so you can always count on plastic bags, beer cups, and other misc. debri. I think Ski King is right with the temp only being able to read liquid correctly rather than air, adding the flow meter would solve any discrepencies. After spending 5 years of my life drviving a nuclear submarine I tend always watch the guages. And yes the stereo was blasting most of the day.
This isn't you X2 at Roadrunner, is it?
Attached Images

Tags
08 x2, blown motor, engine, overheat, weeds