Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-19-2010, 09:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar
Amount of amps my batteries can handle??

I have an '08 x2 with the stock stereo and battery except I added a 10 inch sub with a 250 watt soundstorm amp (cheap). The stock amps and speakers are two jl tower speakers powered by a JL M2150. Then the in boat speakers and stock 10 inch sub are powered by the stock 6 channel JL amp. Im thinking of switching out my tower speakers and the M2150 powering them for some wetsounds. Would I have to add a battery or upgrade the alternator to accomodate the increased power required to run a set of Wetsounds pro 80's or 2 pair of pro 80's?

Thank you,

Calvin
Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Amps

I have a 2007 X2 and with just the jl 6450 and a jl audio mhd750/1, still waiting for the mhd600/4, wordwide backorder for 2 months. I will suck my house battery dry if I run all of my accesories while running. i.e. stereo, ballast pumps, heater, heated seats, lights. I'll get a few hours. I ended up needing an additional charger when docked. But then realized my battery combiner was only charging sometimes. So I would reccomend at minimum a second battery. Playing the radio at a low level for 45 min while anchored and then having the boat not start never made my wife happy .. Or me for that matter.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by venetrex View Post
Playing the radio at a low level for 45 min while anchored and then having the boat not start never made my wife happy .. Or me for that matter.
Just tell her to get out and push, your going to drop the clutch
Old 05-20-2010, 09:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I'd say 3 amps requires 2 GOOD batteries minimum. If you're going to power up 4 Pro 80s, thats another 1000W rms approx on top of the 800W or so you currently have.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-20-2010, 09:33 AM
MC Master Poster

And if you're pushing another 1800W, at 100% efficiency, a crude power formula is P=IE, where P(power) can be derived by multiplying I(current) by E(voltage) and if the alternator is charging at maximum voltage of 14.4VDC, 1800W will draw 125A. If you want to use this many amplifiers, you'll also need a higher output alternator and a heavier charging lead.

If you really want to make this system sound good, I would advise against using cheap amplifiers.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

I forgot to clarify that the boat came stock with 2 batteries. I am using the interstate marine 24m - xhd batteries for both the accessory and cranking battery. For now I was probably thinking of just adding a set of pro 80's and powering them with one of the syn amps from wetsounds that matches that power requirement. As soon as I can get my stock speakers sold anyways. Ive heard that the syn amps from wetsounds are pretty efficient tho pricey. How would that set up go with my two batteries described?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal2vin View Post
I forgot to clarify that the boat came stock with 2 batteries. I am using the interstate marine 24m - xhd batteries for both the accessory and cranking battery. For now I was probably thinking of just adding a set of pro 80's and powering them with one of the syn amps from wetsounds that matches that power requirement. As soon as I can get my stock speakers sold anyways. Ive heard that the syn amps from wetsounds are pretty efficient tho pricey. How would that set up go with my two batteries described?
Make sure your alternator can handle the load of charging all of the batteries. If it can't, it won't matter what amplifiers and batteries you have.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

I dont know much about alternators. Does anyone know the standard size alernator for the 2008 mc x2?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:33 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
And if you're pushing another 1800W, at 100% efficiency, a crude power formula is P=IE, where P(power) can be derived by multiplying I(current) by E(voltage) and if the alternator is charging at maximum voltage of 14.4VDC, 1800W will draw 125A. If you want to use this many amplifiers, you'll also need a higher output alternator and a heavier charging lead.

If you really want to make this system sound good, I would advise against using cheap amplifiers.

Ding Ding Ding................... we have a winner.

150 amp Balmar would keep up just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:34 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal2vin View Post
I dont know much about alternators. Does anyone know the standard size alernator for the 2008 mc x2?

90 I believe and older have a 70 like I did before replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.

Tags
amplifier, battery, pro 80, stereo, wetsounds