Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Sidewinder
Bimini Questions - General & '77-'82 Specific

Greetings,

I'm considering putting a bimini on my '79 Skier, and have a few questions...
1. What is the width of bimini that I should be looking for? The boat is in storage until April so I have new way of measuring it. Any idea, even approx, what the length from the windshield to the mid point of the engine box would be? Something approx that length might be good.

2. Will I be able to flip it forward of the windshield when not in use or is it better to go with a support mechanism like on BriEOD's boat here http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5675

3. BriEOD, if you're reading this, do you remember the dimensions of yours? What kind is it? I really like the look of it. I might want to go a few inches lower and a foot longer. Really clean boat!

4. What is generally a good height for bimini to floor? I've read 5', but am not sure. I'm 6'3" so don't want to crouch too much, but also want a bimini that will provide a lot of shade for my young son.

5. Is there anything that you don't like about your bimini and/or wish was different and/or wish you would have known prior to buying it?

6. What colour would you pic for my boat? I'm debating light blue (Sunbrella Skyblue) to match the hull colour, darker blue (Sunbrella Pacific Blue) http://www.websweeper.com/php/bimini_tops/bim-024.php to match the metal flake or blake to match the windshield / rub rail (we don't have really hot summers, so heat from a black top isn't really an issue) OR have one made that would be 2-tone to match the light blue and metal flake that runs fore and aft and/or add white stars to it! Not sure if that would be overly expensive. I'd like to keep it under $500ish Cdn.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 PM
TT Regular

I really like the look of the Johnson top on the red Prostar - especially the way the forward section slopes down, but I think it might be too low. I'd also like it a little longer, although perhaps not as long as the orange mid 80's stars and stripes. Would also like it to complement the boat, rather than stand out. Thanks in advance for any input!
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
After doing a bunch of research, this was the best deal out there, http://biminitops.iboats.com/BiminiT...t_id=368850442 and here is the thread on the install, including other valuable info, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ghlight=bimini, starting at post #38. It's all the same basic principle, just a different model boat.
Attachment 55334

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 07-31-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
I really like the look of the Johnson top on the red Prostar - especially the way the forward section slopes down, but I think it might be too low. I'd also like it a little longer, although perhaps not as long as the orange mid 80's stars and stripes. Would also like it to complement the boat, rather than stand out. Thanks in advance for any input!
The orange one is mine, and I can tell you, I love the length and so does my wife.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 PM
TT Regular

TMCNo1, thanks for the links - lots of good info there. What height / length (fore to aft) did you go with?

HS0skeefreek, same thing, do you know the dimensions / height of yours? Definitely looks like it would provide a lot of shade, I think I'd go with that length or 1' shorter iot keep a shady area over the passengers legs. Where did you buy yours, or did you have it made? Can the rear portion be made to sit level?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Ok--so here are my thoughts. Again, my thoughts and not intended to offend or hurt feelings.

First, I don't have the boat anymore I sold it in 2007. Consequently, I cannot provide you the dimensions. However, I am pretty sure when I called Johnson to have the top made they had the specs on my boat.

Second, you get what you pay for. When I first got the boat I got a bimini from Overtons that looks very similar to what Harold has on his boat. After a few years of use I found it not very durable and it got dirty very easily on trips back and forth down the highway. Frankly, it started to look cheap. As a result I decided to upgrade to the Johnson. I want to say I paid 500-600$ for the Johnson versus 250-350$ for the Overtons. But, you get a custom color along with stainless vs aluminum and plastic.

Next, how do you want to mount it? At the time, I was doing a lot of trailering which required me to put the bimini up and down a lot. Additionally, since we were 60 mph plus on the trailer I either had to tie the bimini down to prevent it from blowing up in the air, or remove it and lay it in the boat. I quickly tired of this chore and when I bought the Johnson went with the stanchions in the rear. This was a decision I never regretted.

Last, if you think you will ever consider adding a "Fly High" pole you might want to inquire about having heavy duty zippers sewn in.

I loved the Johnson and thought it was worth the money. I got a ton of comments on it and it complimented the boat well.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
TMCNo1, thanks for the links - lots of good info there. What height / length (fore to aft) did you go with?

HS0skeefreek, same thing, do you know the dimensions / height of yours? Definitely looks like it would provide a lot of shade, I think I'd go with that length or 1' shorter iot keep a shady area over the passengers legs. Where did you buy yours, or did you have it made? Can the rear portion be made to sit level?
Mine is a Taylor Made from West Marine. It is 6' long. The location was decided by the hole that is cut for the skylon fat pole. If you wanted to level the rear section you'd just shorten the front straps and lengthen the rear, but that would cut down on forward visibility. I love it, but the Johnson material that Brieod talks about is nicer, however at the time, I worked for West Marine.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.