Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1997 ,with steyr 236 HP Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by markismm View Post
Very interesting using a turbo diesel in that boat. Do you think that the turbo is going to stay cool enough not to melt the engine box? I'll bet you can swing a rather large prop with a high pitch with that torqy motor. Do you know what the motor came out of?
It is an orginal Marine Engine(Steyr 236) not a converted one and taken out of Power Boat.
About the Turbo,it is double wall water called,which means there is shell outside the turbo which fresh water is cooling.Most of the Turbo Diesel marine engines has it.Fresh water is cooled by the sea/lake water.
propeller is still the dark horse. Calculations gives 49mph.

Does anyone know a propeller manufacturer?
Attached Images

Last edited by kiteklan; 12-31-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
will you be able to fit an 18inch prop on that thing? I would get into contact with OJ props or ACME. Both are great and may be able to at least guide you in the right direction. If you call OJ ask for Eric, I beleive he is the owner
Old 12-31-2009, 06:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Previous boat (2005-2013): MasterCraft, X-5, 2001, 310 hp Predator, PerfectPass StarGazer WBP
Contact information for OJ can be found here:
http://www.ojprops.com/contact_us
Old 12-31-2009, 07:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Very interesting project. Keep us all informed with posts as you progress. I think many of us will be interested to understand the performance of the boat with this engine. Also, as you can tell, many here are willing to help brainstorm through issues you run into. Many creative and mechanically talented people on this discussion board.

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
That dash looks great!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 prostar190
kiteklan, what a great project. Are you into course skiing? Do you ski behind direct drives? I hope you will be able to compare how the Steyr tows in the course compared to gas engines. Best of luck and keep the updates coming!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks, Never ski behind a direct drive,It will be 1st. time when we finish.
Direct drive is the only reason that I am repairing this boat.Some people say it will be not nice to smell diesel fume,but I am not concerned about it because Steyr is a really clean engine.We will see.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X-Star
Send a message via MSN to Holman J.B.F
I asume diesel is way cheaper than gasoline in the Turkey.Good thing you find a second hand steyer,...600 hours is nothing for a steyer.
In most countries of europe diesel prices are aprox 25% cheaper than gasoline.Gasmileage on diesels isn,t that great,better than gasoline,but not worth a 20k upgrade.
For now LPG is the way to go,i still can,t believe why LPG is not popular in the u.s.a among skiboat owners and clubs.I see forklift trucks with LPG.
P.s don,t want to hyjack this thread.
Kiteklan if you want parts,just PM we have boxes full of used gauges swiches exhaust silensers flaps perfect pass parts props etc etc.
If you have questions you might try paul fong,s skischool in singapore he has the same setup for years,over 5000 hours.good luck.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Holman,That is correct diesel is cheaper and thanks for the information about the parts,I will contact with you.I see your website and got your contact details.
Can you PM me the Paul's email.?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Very interesting project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteklan View Post
Calculations gives 49mph.
I think thats overly optimistic. You should find that the slip percentage will be in the range of 15-20% at best. The smaller, lighter, smaller wetted surface inboards Ive dealt with tend to run closer to 15%, while the newer slalom machines tend to run closer to 20%. You may be looking at a greater slip percentage with that huge reduction trans and super steep prop. If you break 40mph you'll be doing pretty good. Ive seen a few 95-97 Prostars flirt with 50mph, but that's with the 310+ hp V8's.

As far as prop selection goes, that is going to be a major hurdle for you. If you had a gearbox closer to 1:1 (as much as 1.5:1) you could probably find somthing off the shelf that would work- but with a 2:1 and a low RPM motor, youre off the grid for standard ski boat props. You'll want to narrow down your search by looking at props that are 12-14" in diameter- you wont fit anything bigger than that on the boat.

Tags
diesel engine, renovation, repair, steyr