Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 PM
wakesurfer

Awesome help! thanks a lot1
Old 09-28-2009, 05:19 PM
wakesurfer

some pictures

thanks for all the help from the core. Here are some pictures.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2009, 05:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1996, 285 HP
You have the standard 350 TBI engine. Very reliable and plenty of power.

Definitely fix the gelcoat damage ASAP.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:36 PM
wakesurfer

thanks a lot for taking the time to respond.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:46 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago190 View Post
Nice of you to answer with such a worthless post to a first time owner, considering you set a record for stupidest questions asked about their boat. You telling someone to do a search is priceless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
ROTFLMFAO. Exactly what I was thinking 190. Good thing John came along and made things right.
I thought about adding some similar comments but figured I'd refrain. Glad I wasn't the only one with these thoughts.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:52 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesurfer View Post
thanks a lot for taking the time to respond.
Sorry I didn't mention, but you may have gathered anyway, it is a GM 350 Throttle Body Injected motor.

In addition to changing the engine oil and transmission fluid, I would replace the raw water pump impeller ($30) and fuel filter, unless you know they are new. Other basic maintenance items like cap and rotor, plugs, wires, etc. are up to you, but they can prevent you from being stranded and ruining a nice day on the lake.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:21 PM
wakesurfer

thanks

appreciate the info man, it really helps, I've been on the salt water for most of my life and this is the first ski boat, i'm excited and nervous because I've had a lot of luck with outboards mostly being able to work on them myself. Being that this is the first inboard, seems things are more expensive and just want to do the right things at the begining so that I can minimize any probs in the future, since I dont know how well kept the boat was by the previous owners.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesurfer View Post
appreciate the info man, it really helps, I've been on the salt water for most of my life and this is the first ski boat, i'm excited and nervous because I've had a lot of luck with outboards mostly being able to work on them myself. Being that this is the first inboard, seems things are more expensive and just want to do the right things at the begining so that I can minimize any probs in the future, since I dont know how well kept the boat was by the previous owners.
Well, the boat and trailer were obviously used in salt before, so you're going to want to go over it carefully.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
By the general apeparance of the motor, the PO wasn't much into upkeep. Oil, 15W40 diesel grade oil reccomended, but any automotive engine oil will work fine...same engine as a Chevy pickup. AC PF454 or Napa 1069 oil filter. Suck out the trans fluid and change it. Get a $10 drill operated pump and some hose/fittings from teh hardware store to make a pump for teh engine oil and trans oil.
Impeller, fuel filter, clean the air filter, check all teh hose clamps, grease the steering cable and rudder (under panel behind the motor). Tune up if needed.
If you're used to outboards, IMO, these are much easier to work on. Most general parts are available at teh auto parts store too.
If it runs good, don't bother draining the gas, these engines are not that finicky. If you need to drain it, disconnect the line coming out of the fuel pump and stick a hose on it. Run 12V with some jumper wires from teh battery to the fp terminals an pump away. Drain the extra fuel out of my 190 every year like this (careful of sparks!).
Hammer out the prop and if it doesnt vibrate, you're ok, but not great. A new prop will do wonders over the stock OJ cupped prop. Many threads on the best prop.
Fix the gelcoat. At least paint or gel over that damage before putting it in the water anymore so the 'glass doesn't absorb anymore water. If it's been wet recently, I'd let it set and dry with nothing on it for a while.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 PM
wakesurfer

youre the man!

Thanks for the details thats what I needed/wanted. People like you make it worthwhile to join this site. At the risk of being heckelled again, could someone tell me where to put the water hose into the engine so that I can start it without the boat being in the water? thanks.

Tags
fuel, gel coat, indmar, oil, prop