Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 PM
jabe101

1994 Maristar Trailer Brakes

I have a 1994 Maristar 225 with the factory trailer and it needs new brakes. It currently has the original drum brakes and I would like to convert to disc brakes. Could someone please give me a recommendation on new disc brakes? This is the first set of trailer brakes I've done and want to make sure I order the right setup, which is hard when you can't see what you are buying. I've done plenty of car brakes however.

Let me know what else I need to provide for info and many thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:36 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
One to consider is http://www.ufpnet.com/

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:50 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Make sure you get the lines and master for disc. They are all different from a drum brake set up

'91 prostar 190
Old 09-23-2009, 08:20 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
Make sure you get the lines and master for disc. They are all different from a drum brake set up
Yea, be sure to replace the old lines with new S/S lines to eliminate the potential for rust that most systems get from plain old steel lines.

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:50 PM
jabe101

Thanks for the replies. Any other suggestions so I can shop around? I am getting the feeling that the standard trailer brakes that are mentioned in other posts on the site (tie down, etc) are not what I'm looking for? I wish they showed the bracket for the calipers in the pictures but it's always hidden by the rotors.

Either way, thanks again for the help.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe101 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Any other suggestions so I can shop around? I am getting the feeling that the standard trailer brakes that are mentioned in other posts on the site (tie down, etc) are not what I'm looking for? I wish they showed the bracket for the calipers in the pictures but it's always hidden by the rotors.

Either way, thanks again for the help.
The 4 hole bracket on the axle is a standard pattern that will accept either the drum or disc brake parts and the disc brake kits come with the caliper mounting brackets to fit the axle plate..
You have several choices for disc brakes besides UFP, like http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/index.p...d=13&Itemid=30
and http://www.reliabletool.com/ to name a few.
The reason I recommended UFP system, is that in 1997 I did a refurbishing of the trailer under our '89 and I added the UFP disc brakes and A-60 disc brake actuator to the trailer myself and they have been trouble free for 12 years.
The best thing to do is review as many companies and their products as you can and call and consult with them about their products to be sure you get the right system that suits you.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
I suggest you get parts from the same manufacturer that was originally on your trailer to make sure they fit. At least the actuators can vary significantly in this respect. Since you have a 94 trailer I assume your brakes were by UFP. You should be able to tell by the actuator. My 93 Prostar trailer had UFP drum brakes and I upgraded to disc and replaced the actuator and lines. I got my parts from Dorsey Trailers in Oklahoma cheaper than I could get them from the UFP distributor in Tenessee and I am in Maryland. Go figure! It is not that hard of a job. One trick is the lines and either getting the right size and/or cutting them. The new brake line material I got did not cut and flare well at all. The steel cracked in the process. Plus you may need to make a coil in the line to use up extra line. I wrapped mine around a can of the desired diameter. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 240SC, 1990, HO454 (425hp, 375???)
http://www.championtrailers.com/index.html

has complete disk conversion kits. Mine has worked perfectly for 9 years! All stainless is the way to go!

Matt
Old 10-06-2009, 05:28 PM
jabe101

Thanks!

I ended up getting the upf disc brakes from pacific trailers (http://www.pacifictrailers.com/) for a great price. Thanks all for the help. Now I'm working on the wiring of the lights. Some issues, but I will work through them. Searching for a wiring diagram now for the 1994 maristar trailer (or comparable). If anyone has it, please pass along. Again, thanks to those who helped me out.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Maristar 210
I also have a 1994 Maristar and I need to replace the brakes. I have already replaced the inner member of the UFP a-60, but I need to do the lines...I think. I am sure that the line in the rubber tube is broken by reading other posts. The question i have is how to get the old line out and do how to get the new line back in. Is there any protection for the new line to consider to duplicate the old rubber hose?

Dan

Tags
brakes, factory, maristar, trailer