Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Ascholl

1994 ProStar 205 Indmar 275 EFI: Cranks but will not start

I have the 5.7L Indmar 275 with electronic fuel injection and it will turn over but will not start. The injectors are not spaying fuel and there isn't spark at the plugs. I have replaced the distributor cap and button, ignition control module, Ignition coil, and the two relays on the back of the engine. I have checked the kill switch with a meter and it is working. I have a spare ECU and tried replacing it but still no spark. The big red 50 amp breaker on the back of the engine isn't tripped either. The fuel pump is priming when the key is switched on and fuel is coming out of the fuel filter.

When this first began, there was weak a yellow spark at the plugs and sporadically spraying fuel (some times it would spay when trying to start, others it wouldn't). It then stopped spaying fuel at all, so i sprayed some ether into the throttle body and the boat started and began spaying fuel. (rough idle; stalled when i gave it gas, but restarted and ran). It ran for 10 minutes like that until it stalled and hasn't ran since.

Any help is appreciated
Aaron Scholl

Last edited by Ascholl; 09-12-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:04 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Have you checked the kill switch?

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:23 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 1993 MASTERCRAFT PROSTAR 190 285HP 351 INDMAR
If you have spark should be a fuel delivery issue, how are you testing for spark? Anything recently worked on? Start there. Fuel pressure? Filter etc... If you have spark lanyard and ignition should be the same as when it was working. Gas?

If no spark and no fuel check neutral switch. Wiggle throttle in and out of neutral a few times. Lock in back position with pin pulled. The switch can cause all of these issues as well.

!UOY NAHT RETSAF MA I TUB KNURD EB YAM I

Last edited by Hoosier Bob; 09-12-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 205 prostar
Check for proper operation of fuel pump relay-2 sec. on at power up
Check for contaminated fuel
Check fuel filters
Check fuel pressure
Check ignition voltage output
Check ECT for sensor value--4450 ohms at 60 deg.F---2796 ohms at 77 deg.F
Unplug ECT sensor and try starting
Unplug MAP sensor and try starting
The ecu will substitute a default value for these sensors as well as the TPS