Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2009, 11:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Tristar 220
'89 Tristar dead in water - on labor day wknd!!

Just grabbed an '89 Tristar 220 with the Ford 351 (Indmar) engine. Thing runs like a top - former owner was a Corvette mechanic and it's apparent by the overall appearance, sound and overall performance of the motor and carb. HOWEVER, was out with the squad (have 6 kids - YES, 6!!) and boat was running great. Turned boat off to let kids back on boat after tubing and.... dead. Turned key and dead silence. Had turned it on and off numerous times that day and previously with no issues at all. Got back to dock (after getting a tow by a Nautique who quickly told me I shouldn't have bought a "Mastercrap"...) Came here first and have read numerous threads here about starter issues so I'm thinking it's a solenoid issue (since starter doesn't even engage - yes, I whacked it lightly with a hammer.) Battery reads well. All connections look solid and no corrosion. Anyone have thoughts?? Am I on the right track with the solenoid? If so, do I need to pay particular attention to the specific make/model of solenoid? Thx to all in advance!

Tags
1989, indmar, solenoid, starter, tristar