Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-19-2009, 02:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Pro 190
holley carb 4160 throttle gas leak?

this is my first time posting although I've been an almost daily visitor since I found out about this page a month ago. usually can find what i need through search but can't find definative info on this.

have a 89 190 with the 4160 carb, had some problems with a leak out of the forward diaphram and replaced that, returne the carb, adjusted the choke and have got it running (rough for a bit, I'm pulling her out of storage for about 3 years) I'm pretty sure I need to get it refreshed or rebuilt to get her running right but after deciding that i need a rebuild,

I've notice that there is gas at the gasket between the carb and intake, followed the gas and it looks like the trottle linkage also has some gas on it as well and it is coming from around the linkage and flowing back down the gasket to the rear of the boat.

CAn this be fixed? i've read a couple of comments that say if it is leaking here then it is better to by a new one? don't want to drop$450 on a new carb, but don't want to waste time and money if it is a goner.

Anybody dealt with this? any info appreciated.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by crom View Post
this is my first time posting although I've been an almost daily visitor since I found out about this page a month ago. usually can find what i need through search but can't find definative info on this.

have a 89 190 with the 4160 carb, had some problems with a leak out of the forward diaphram and replaced that, returne the carb, adjusted the choke and have got it running (rough for a bit, I'm pulling her out of storage for about 3 years) I'm pretty sure I need to get it refreshed or rebuilt to get her running right but after deciding that i need a rebuild,

I've notice that there is gas at the gasket between the carb and intake, followed the gas and it looks like the trottle linkage also has some gas on it as well and it is coming from around the linkage and flowing back down the gasket to the rear of the boat.

CAn this be fixed? i've read a couple of comments that say if it is leaking here then it is better to by a new one? don't want to drop$450 on a new carb, but don't want to waste time and money if it is a goner.

Anybody dealt with this? any info appreciated.
A rebuild kit will do the 4160 justice. No need for a new carb at this point.

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RN0120-1

Be sure and read the comment below the pic in the link. The ID number is important.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:20 PM
TT Newbie

i've looked into the rebuild, but will it address the gas leak from the throttle linkage that i have?

or fix that would require more than the rebuild?

thanks.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar190 1992
I rebuilt my 4160 last year, starts and idles everytime hot or cold. runs great get the rebuild kit.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:31 PM
TT Newbie

I know!!! I know!!!

I'm asking about the leak from the throttle at the carb, will the rebuild take care of this or will it take more/unfixable?

thanks tho
Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
I know!!! I know!!!

I'm asking about the leak from the throttle at the carb, will the rebuild take care of this or will it take more/unfixable?

thanks tho
Yes.............

Do you have the crappy instructions or the nice PDF version? The kit instructions leave a lot to be desired.

Is the evidence of gas a leak or residue from fuel presence? A hard to word question but is it leaking in a dripping manner or just residue on the throttle linkage?

Last edited by Cloaked; 07-19-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:56 PM
TT Newbie

don't have any instructions, haven't got the kit yet.

i'm not seeing any type of dripping, but there is a wet spot (gas) under the throttle linkage and where the linkage connects to the carb there is residue. also, under the linkage down the side of the carb there is wetnes as well (gasoline) and down the gasket to the rear.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:57 PM
TT Newbie

as far as fuel presence, all around except for the spots i mentioned it is dry/no leaks.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:02 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
as far as fuel presence, all around except for the spots i mentioned it is dry/no leaks.
Put the rebuild kit in and clean up the linkage. It's all good from there. You'll be just fine. I have a nice set of instructions in case you missed my comment on the crappy kit instructions.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them your way. A nice Powerpoint and MC is too skEErt to allow a PPT file extension in the attachments...
Old 07-19-2009, 04:06 PM
TT Newbie

i appreciate it

i've seen some comments on this forum that said that if there is leaking from the throttle linkage then it isn't worth rebuilding. any word on if that is true?

i'm new to carbs and motors in general, but am learning and have done some work on my own. I'd like to do the carb myself if i can, but don't want to get halfway into it and find out that the throttle may be more than i handle.

how can i get good instructions?

thanks again.

Tags
carb, holley, leak, leaking, throttle