Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM
MC Master Poster

The water pump wasn't the issue, as far as I remember. It was the pulley and alternator bracket not allowing the pulleys to line up.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The water pump wasn't the issue, as far as I remember. It was the pulley and alternator bracket not allowing the pulleys to line up.
What pulley- water pump, alternator, or crank? I thought the fix was the shouldered water pump pulley.

Regardless, I have the new design water pump pulley and alternator bracket being installed this week!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason99T/A View Post
What pulley- water pump, alternator, or crank? I thought the fix was the shouldered water pump pulley.

Regardless, I have the new design water pump pulley and alternator bracket being installed this week!
The only pulley that isn't a stock part on the motor when it leaves GM, which means the water circulating pump pulley. Just adding a shoulder will tear up the edge that's in contact with the shoulder but if they machine it so the edge is wider and can shift the mating surface so it matches the other pulley(s) is the best way. If it has a spring-loaded tensioner, making a spacer plate that installs behind the pulley will cure the problem, but longer/different rating bolts will be needed and it may cause bearing failure on the pump because the offset is increased.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

OK- thanks. Will keep everyone posted on what I find.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Just a follow up - the new alternator bracket/water pump pulley fixed the belt issue. I'll get some pictures comparing the two brackets and pullies. I took the boat out yesterday and no problems.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason99T/A View Post
Just a follow up - the new alternator bracket/water pump pulley fixed the belt issue. I'll get some pictures comparing the two brackets and pullies. I took the boat out yesterday and no problems.
Pics would be great because I'm not sure if mine has been replaced or not. Never had any problems but curious to see the difference. Where did you get the updated bracket?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'll try and get some pics this week.

Bennett's Boat and Ski, our local Mastercraft dealer.

www.skibennetts.com
Old 07-06-2010, 06:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Lyman 17' Runabout 1960 with 1960 Johnson 75hp, 2000 Pro Star 205
My 2000 Prostar 205 with the LTR motor had a similar failure. The bottom bolt that holds the alternator to the engine bracket had failed left a small 1" stud on the bracket, bolt must be somewhere in the bilge (I did not look for it). The stud eventually vibrated out and the alternator rotated inward (pivoting on the upper bolt) it then started to rub against the tensioner.

My quick fix was to just replace the bolt but I suspect it may need the update bracket as well. Does anyone know what grade bolts I should be using. The bolt that did not fail was marked as ASTM Grade 5.2 and that is what the new bolt is as well. I did not torque the new bolt (not sure I can get my torque wrench on it anyway) will torque the upper bolt before next use though. I assume that the bracket upgrade is needed anyway.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkity Hank View Post
My 2000 Prostar 205 with the LTR motor had a similar failure. The bottom bolt that holds the alternator to the engine bracket had failed left a small 1" stud on the bracket, bolt must be somewhere in the bilge (I did not look for it). The stud eventually vibrated out and the alternator rotated inward (pivoting on the upper bolt) it then started to rub against the tensioner.

My quick fix was to just replace the bolt but I suspect it may need the update bracket as well. Does anyone know what grade bolts I should be using. The bolt that did not fail was marked as ASTM Grade 5.2 and that is what the new bolt is as well. I did not torque the new bolt (not sure I can get my torque wrench on it anyway) will torque the upper bolt before next use though. I assume that the bracket upgrade is needed anyway.
The new alternator bracket fixed my problem. I replaced bolts with Grade 8 hardware from a local bolt store. No issues for a year until I sold the boat a few months back.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
I'm pretty sure that is the old bracket and original alternator. When mine broke it was the bottom hole in the alternator which required a new alternator and then they added an extra bracket that hooks to the top bolt and another part of the motor for additional stabilization. I don't have a picture of the new style, but here is the picture of my alternator with the broken bracket.
Attached Images