Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2009, 11:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
Here are some pics of my stereo. My brother and I designed and built the enclosures. The most challenging parts were the odd angle of the sub box, the odd angles of the driver's enclosure, and mounting the amp so that it was out of the way of the storage area for skis and the like. The most important piece of the stereo from a sheer sound standpoint was the driver's enclosure which sits down to your right and fires directly up at the driver for maximum sound to the driver. Our plan was to modify the boat as little as possible, obtain the maximum sound out of the system, and maintain all of the storage space possible. The system sounds great. It is plenty loud and crystal clear. Another challenging aspect was designing a gunnel support for the added stress of the new barefoot boom my brother just got this past Christmas. We took a 4 x 4 piece of pressure treated lumber nothced it in several places and made it fit behind the passenger side speaker enclosure which was a feat in and of itself. I was afraid that the added stress of the boom would cause spider-webbing in the gel coat without it.

This is the rear-drivers side speaker with the back seat out. With the seat in you can only see the two speakers. The black box on the back of the speaker enclousre is a manual crossover for the tweaters and drivers. A must for playing the speakers at their maximum volume without distortion or worry of blowing a driver. The rear passenger speaker is in the same location and has the same exact enclosure design.

This is front passenger's side speaker. Essentially the same enclosure as the rear two, but with the wedge design facing backwards. Its amazing that we were able to get a nothced out and carved up pressure treated 4 x 4 behind this speaker enclosure for barefoot boom support.

This is the driver's enclosure. It fires directly up into the driver's face, but does not get in the way at all when driving.

The head unit location is in the "glove" box. A very tight squeeze too.

Tags
original, speakers, stars and stripes, upholstery