Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 04-13-2009, 09:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 190, LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStar200 View Post
Nice Bowtie bridomine99, bet you were sorry to see that go. I would love to find an old Chev or GMC like that.
Thank you....

You know I have not looked back on that one. The truck was lots of fun, but I allways tell people, "if you want to get into classic cars/street rods, you need to either have deep pockets or be very handy, have a fully equipped shop, love working on them, and most IMPORTANTLY it can not be your driver". The truck was great, but the maintenance and projects never end on these types of vehicles. I sold it and bought a bike that runs like a top, is faster than most anything on the road, and short of oil changes / tires requires zero maintenance. Some day I will get back into it, but for now I'll do my cruising in the Craft.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
the lowering the trucks thing must be a west coast thing and a hispanic thing......I dont get it.

Have to disagree! I'm not hispanic nor am I on or from the west coast. Red neck all the way! One of my trucks is lowered just a little 2 inches in the front and 4 in the rear. Gives a nice stance. And have no problems towing the boat with it. This is at CSM '08.
Attached Images

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Another shot of the truck.
Attached Images

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 04-13-2009, 11:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
What year is that? A 72?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I'd paint it the lighter color unless you want a whole lot of work painting the inside of the cab, rockers, firewall, inside of bed, behind the cab, etc. Other wise, no matter how good a job you do, it'll still look like Earl Scheib when you open the doors, hood, etc. I painted a similar truck, it was chevy silver with a black stripe. Used Dodge "Light Driftwood". Matched all the factory paint in the inconspicuous places mentioned above close enough, but it's a nice metallic with some gold in it, so it kinda changes shades in different light. It was on the mid-late 90's Dodges.
Give the engine some more snort if you want to. The 200R4 trans is kinda weak, but if it works, run it til it pukes and replace with a 700R4.
Get the factory rally wheels shined up and paint the rims black or color matched to the truck.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Bert how much is your budget for this fixer upper?

I would leave the ride height alone. I'd keep it as original as possible. I'd probably keep the original paint colors, too.
Bugdet?? HA Kidding of course. Paint is $1500.. 350.. $550.. Then there is the rest of the stuff that I need to do.. I have decided to go back original with the paint. I will see how the rest of it looks when all of that is done. Of course I'll have to do the engine stuff first..

Unfortunately Uncle Sam just laid it to me So much for ME boosting the local economy for a while
Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
When a motor has a valve seal leak, it needs a new valve seal, not a rebuild or a new motor. You can get a set of intake and exhaust seals for less than $30. All you need is a compressor to keep the valves in place, a manual to tell you how to set the valves, a valve spring compressor and a few wrenches. Mine got new seals in '02 and doesn't burn a drop.

If you're going to replace that much, it won't be "your grandfather's truck" anymore, will it?
It will always be the truck he drove, but I see your point. I will have to look into the less expensive fix that you speak of. Everyone I have talked to has said it needs at a minimum the top end rebuild. If you are correct, you may be saving me hundreds
Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Another shot of the truck.
Good looking tow vehicle there hammer
Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
the lowering the trucks thing must be a west coast thing and a hispanic thing......I dont get it.
lol nope we did it alot in tn in the early 90's. i would like to lower my yukon xl about 2 inches. gives it a better stance

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!