Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2 Switch Blue and White
2006 Sequoia 4x4 for Tow Vehicle

I am looking to purchase a 2006 Sequoia 4X4 to tow our 2006 X2 with a tandem trailer. Any feedback from Sequoia owners would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-2, 2008
fwiw - I tow with a v8 4runner 4x4 and it's fine. Fuel economy sucks but it starts & stops just fine. I'm pretty sure the sequoia is built on the tundra chassis so you should be good to go.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 209 - MCX 350 5.7L V-8
I have a Prostar 209 and have both the '06 Toyota Sequoia 4x4, and an '06 Tundra. Both pull without any trouble, although I prefer the Tundra as it's a little longer wheelbase. I had to play around with the receiver hitch to get the tongue height just right, other then that you're good. However, they do drain the gas tank with the boat in tow.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2 Switch Blue and White
Thanks, I had an 05 2wd 4runner sport with the V8 for my 209 and it did fine, just thirsty in tow. My current V6 Mountaineer 2wd drive (with tow package) does better than I would have thought and we are looking to replace the wifes MDX for something with a bit more room, and the Sequoia and the Lexus GX are at the top of the list. Im leaning towards the Sequoia, but what does that matter to me.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I have owned a few(8 different trucks). My parents have towed with a Lexus LX470 for most of their later years Thing guzzles gas like crazy and didn't pull to well with a full load. My cousin also owns an 06 Sequoia Limited along w Supra Launch 21. I have owned Suburbans, Yukons and Tahoes as primary tow vehicles so my opinion may be biased, but I have towed with the 470 a ton. I have alos spent a good chunk of change behind an 08 ,quad cab, full lenght bed Tundra

The Sequoia will do ok. It will get the job done, but if you going to be packing a full crew and heading on some road trips it will struggle pulling that X2 with the tandem. The powerplant is just not there. Again it will get the job done so to speak depending on your actual "tow" situation, but the new 09 Sequoia blows it away is is much more on par, if not ahead of the American big boys. I think the American full size trucks, whether Ford, Chevy, GMC will out perform the pre-09 Sequoia's as well as the GX any day of the week with regards to towing. Sure the quality, ride and fit/finish of the GX is next to none, but the powerlant is a littl low. The GX is pretty much a suped up 4-Runner. The problem with the foreign trucks is they are geared more to perform in "car like" situations. I put the Sequoia at the bottom for a full size tow vehicle that is going to be "used " to tow. It's just to big and under powered to hang under a full load imo. Again it will get the job done, but I think there are much better choices if you plan on using it as a "tow vehicle" a lot. Some people's idea of a tow vehicle may differ from mine. Towing to the corner lake or using it as a tow vehicle for only half a year may cause a different answer to the question of which tow vehicle is right for them. When I think of a tow vehicle I think...truck full of gear and a ride of 30-40mi to the lake on avg with the boat in tow just about every weekend.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 ps209
i tow boats up to 6000 lbs with my 98 landcruiser with ease- same 4.7L as your sequoia ( i think ). Its true the new model is much more powerful and I have felt quite a difference in stopping/accelerating when I drove my neighbor's '08. If it comes with the PWR mode, that can be helpful, and also turn overdrive off- you shouldn't have any problems on the road!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 PM
ckornutiak

I had an 01 Sequoia and it pulled pretty much anything behind it w/o problems. I never had a problem with it. As others have mentioned, it's not great on gas, but you have to expect that with anything it's size.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 190 1998 30th Anniversary Edition LT1
It should tow just fine. Be wary of exhaust manifold leaks which are very common on these models.