Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Tristar 220
Floors

I am unsure at this time what the panels are made of. I haven't had them out for 4-5 years. I am curious to what I have to do if I want to replace some of the floor boards. If it would be as easy as taking the old ones out and cutting new one from the old template. I know there was another thread on here awhile back where a guy redid the floors but I can't seem to find it. When I tackle this job this spring I will try and help but I now that doesn't help you now.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Tristar 190 1989 Ford 351
The wood isnt showing when you remove the panel and flip it over. The wood is fiberglassed into the bottom of the panels and rots over time causing the floor to get soft and springy. I cut around the edges and was able to chisel out all of the wood and replaced with cdx plywood (that's what was in there) and plan on re-fiberglassing when it warms up outside. Still looking for some instructions on how to remove the front panel. Can anyone help?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:29 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberard5 View Post
The wood isnt showing when you remove the panel and flip it over. The wood is fiberglassed into the bottom of the panels and rots over time causing the floor to get soft and springy. I cut around the edges and was able to chisel out all of the wood and replaced with cdx plywood (that's what was in there) and plan on re-fiberglassing when it warms up outside. Still looking for some instructions on how to remove the front panel. Can anyone help?

Which front panel?

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
If you look back at the pics in Post #13 it's the square floor piece that is in the walkthrough.

Just got my carpet from Overtons the other day and my upholstery is all being done as we speak, so I can't wait for it to warm up here and get at 'er. The floor panels that I do have out all seem solid so I won't mess with them.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:57 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISTARX View Post
I have a 1988 22footer I need to recarpet as well. My interior looks similiar. There seem to be some soft spots by the back bench, and the by the hole by the ski pole and also in the walkway to the front. I had to get to the gas tank once and thought these floors were wood correct? It looks like those are fiberglass? How long did this take you to do and cost estimate?
It took me one day but there was 3 of us and the carpet was around 100 bucks if i recall correctly.

My floor is all fiberglass. I imagine yours is also. As far as I know, no wood was used in the floors (specifically the stringers) since the mid 80s. If you have some flex in your floor one of the removable centre panels may have a crack and may just need some reglassing underneath.

You were asking about carpet cost....
I've just ordered 18 feet of the 8.5 foot wide Daystar Lancer 20 oz. carpet from Overtons. They sent me a sample card with all the colors on it and the Light Grey was an exact match to my current carpet. I sketched out all my pieces to scale on graph paper to make sure I ordered the correct amount.

Is your boat an open bow? If so, do you have the square center floor piece that sits right in the walkthrough area? As you can see in my post above I'm stumped as to how to get this piece out. Judging from the photos above mastercrafttristar 190 was able to somehow replace his carpet there.[/quote]

I have an open bow and to get that peice out i jacked the left dash peice up and two of us were pulling it. I took some effort to get it but we did. These are the pictures that i could find of that section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
Good job, that came out nice
Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 03:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Hey there mastercrafttristar190! Thanks for posting. I tried PMing you awhile ago but I guess you have that feature turned off.

Since I know now how you got that front floor piece out it will make my (and TRISTARXs) job simpler. Where did you actually place the jack under the dash? I can sort of judge from the pic that it was pretty close to the center but can you recall where the contact point was under the dash? How many inches did you lift it? You must have held your breath waiting for a "snap" of fiberglass!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
TT Newbie

To tell you the truth I really dont remember where I placed the jack. All I remember is it was on some strong piece. As for the lifting I think it was around 1-2 inches that I raised it but just keep lifting it a little bit and pull it. Every time you pull it it should move out of it place. I took some effort to get it out of there though.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:29 PM
MC Fanatic

That's helpful. Thanks.
I'm assuming then that when you lifted the floor section you slid it sideways to port and then back to clear the fuel tank filler neck? At least that's the way my tank is. It's the reason I can't just slide the floor section straight back.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:15 AM
MC Fanatic

I got my front floor panel out today! I tried what mastercrafttristar 190 suggested. It just about worked but the floor panel kept binding against the starboard dash floor support (ie. the side of the walkthrough where it attaches to the floor.) So, I jacked that side up a bit also. With the extra clearance I was able to lift up the left side of the floor panel, slide it a couple of inches to port and then back towards the stern to clear the fuel tank filler and vent necks.

Now, once it really warms up here I can rip out the rest of the carpet and get the new stuff in.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft tristar 190 1989 351 windsor
Are tristars supposed to have a closed cooling system and use collant?

Tags
190, 1988, interior, mastercraft, tristar