Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 04:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Using the amp is no problem. Using 2 amps is no problem. Just use your phone jack off of the Ipod and plug it into the RCA jacks. If you are using two amps, you will need to split the RCA pair into a total of 4.

The only way to control the volume would be on the Ipod itself. The two amps would be going at the same volume unless you could find some type of fader controller. I don't know if they make that sort of thing or not.

1994 205, LT1
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Mastercraft 19 Skiier Stars and Stripes
Send a message via MSN to CODY_YARBER07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Hardy View Post
Without my head unit, I could only use the iPod volume control for all speakers at once, i could not get any channel seperation for volume.
Do you think that you could use some sort of fader like some people have talked about?
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1982 Classic Stars and Stripes, 351 Engine Model # PLD WR L15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODY_YARBER07 View Post
Do you think the sound quality would be that much better with an iPod compatible head unit?
I really just like not having to buy and mount a head unit when I don't need anything from it except the ability to change volume. Surely there is some way to skip the head unit and still use line out and change volume..

You could always do what I do and just connect an MP3 player straight to an amplifier. I put the amplifier under the bow and the iPod in the cup holder. Very clean and I thought it sounded very good.
Nice, great suggetion...did not think of that one. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:20 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlay View Post
Nice, great suggetion...did not think of that one. Thanks!
It's pretty simple but if you need any help just PM me.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Sound quality is going to be about the same regardless if you use "line out" signal or the "phone jack" signal. I used this method for years back in the 80's when the first portable CD player came out. I used the phone jack output and plugged it directly into my car amplifier....

1994 205, LT1
Old 02-13-2009, 05:30 PM
TT Regular

I really just need to figure out how to independently control the volume of my interior speakers, sub, and tower speakers without buying the Wetsounds EQ. Does anyone have any experience with the RCA level controllers or does anyone have any other ideas? I have no clue what I'm doing.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
here you go:
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...294762702.html

$50-60 online and great reviews. i almost went with it, but decided to try out the 420 since it has "two-zone" eq funcionality versus this one which just has one. that picture is stretched by the way, it looks similar to the 420.

on the plus side for that clarion though, it lets you control the sub volume independent of the inboats. on the 420, the sub is tied to the inboats.

then you can use one of these and tie into your 12v. it will bypass the DA to the headphone out (no volume control from ipod) and play directly out of the dock connector and charge at the same time. pretty slick.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...abilities.html

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 02-14-2009, 02:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently Rinker 212 R1 w/ wakeboard package and custom upgrades
RCA Bass Remote - about 20 bucks ish and can be found at www.sonicelectronix.com or www.crutchfield.com

If you go that route, let me know how it works out. I am going to try using my fader first, but if that doesnt work the way I want, I plan on using the remote knobs.

I believe that Wetsounds WS420 has basically used 2 separate bass knobs as to independently control tower and cockpit speakers. This is the conclusion I have come to studying their product. I dont see the need to spend the money on their rather simple design.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:55 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemac View Post
here you go:
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...294762702.html

$50-60 online and great reviews. i almost went with it, but decided to try out the 420 since it has "two-zone" eq funcionality versus this one which just has one. that picture is stretched by the way, it looks similar to the 420.

on the plus side for that clarion though, it lets you control the sub volume independent of the inboats. on the 420, the sub is tied to the inboats.

then you can use one of these and tie into your 12v. it will bypass the DA to the headphone out (no volume control from ipod) and play directly out of the dock connector and charge at the same time. pretty slick.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...abilities.html
I really like this EQ for the price. I just don't know if I would know how to use the EQ though. I mean, I don't know what most of those knobs do. Maybe it would be easy to learn.. Maybe I would just leave them untouched. I'm really thinking about going this route though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dogg View Post
RCA Bass Remote - about 20 bucks ish and can be found at www.sonicelectronix.com or www.crutchfield.com

If you go that route, let me know how it works out. I am going to try using my fader first, but if that doesnt work the way I want, I plan on using the remote knobs.

I believe that Wetsounds WS420 has basically used 2 separate bass knobs as to independently control tower and cockpit speakers. This is the conclusion I have come to studying their product. I dont see the need to spend the money on their rather simple design.
If I don't get the Clarion then I will definitely do this and let you know how it turns out. The Clarion seems to have more features and be an overall better deal because I would need 3 of the bass knobs (tower, interior, sub) so I am leaning towards the Clarion but if I can't figure out all of the different adjustments (on the Clarion) then it's looking like the rca bass knobs.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:38 PM
TT Regular

Let me clarify a few points as it seems there is a lot of mis information on this post.

Quote from: Bigg Dogg.
"I believe that Wetsounds WS420 has basically used 2 separate bass knobs as to independently control tower and cockpit speakers. This is the conclusion I have come to studying their product. I don’t see the need to spend the money on their rather simple design."

Bigg Dogg, You couldn't be farther from the truth on what the WS-420 is. I am sure you are just mistaken on it by the studying you have done. The WS-420 is a lot more than a couple of bass knobs.

The WS-420 is in fact a very complicated unit. And the only unit like it on the market. It is so unique that we won the Innovations Award for 2008 for engineering and design for the WS-420.

Here is the best way to describe it. The WS-420 is TWO equalizers in one chassis plus a microphone built it. A completely separate equalizer for the tower and a completely separate equalizer for the in boats. As well as separate volume for the in boats and separate volume for the towers. So 2 EQ's in one chassis. Plus it adds bass boost and sub freq adjustment. The built in microphone is where it gets very complicated on the design side. The microphone has it's own volume control. It also mutes the towers speakers when the key is pushed and you can talk over the tower speakers. Once the mic key is released. It is a 5 second delay and the towers begin to play again. It only goes through the tower speakers and not the in boats. It is a high voltage line driver as well providing higher voltage to the amps. It has an aux in for an i pod so it can be used without the need for a head unit. It also has a feature we call "boat link" It has an aux output allowing you to link up to other boats and play one source to multiple boats.

So to do what the WS-420 can do in a half DIN chassis. You would need to buy. Two separate line driver equalizers. Plus an add on microphone. And that would still not give you the boat link ability but you can do that with outboard line drivers and y adapters etc…So you would be way more in terms of cost to be able to do what the WS-420 can do.

To the original poster.

What was described as a bass boost knob. Is not correct as just a bass boost knob will not control just any amplifier. Also, most bass boost knobs only work with intended amplifier. Most only work for sub amps or when in low pass mode.

What is the proper way to described it is to add a "universal amplifier level control" and some are called “universal bass remote level control. PAC makes one called the LC-1. This is a passive unit. On the sonic site posted, there is one from schose, rlc. I just wanted to make sure that was clear so you did not order a bass knob that only worked for a specific amp. Make sure it is universal.

If you have 3 amps in a system. You would add one for each amp. But this would only work in a system with a head unit or eq.

JL makes an active one called the CL-RLC. What is better about this one is it is active. So it has line voltage from the source.

You do not want to just go from an ipod to the amps. The ipod does not have enough voltage to drive the amplifiers. There is also impedance issues but I will not get into that.

So you will need something to provide voltage.

So in your set up with no head unit. The pacs or passive ones will not work. (they will in a system with a head unit or eq)

The cheapest solution is to get two of the JL CL-RLC. They are about $60 each. You will use an ipod to rca plug into a Y into both. Then one will go to tower amp and one to the in boats and sub amp. You can add a 3rd if you want sub control as well.

It may be as cheap to do a single eq like the clarion. But this will not give you complete control of the in boats and towers separate. But will allow you to fade from in boat to tower and give you a line driver.

Next option is to add the WS-420 of course as this will give you the control of towers and in boats and line driver and ipod input etc...

But remember when doing it. Add something that has voltage into the amps. DO NOT just plug the ipod in.

Tim
Wet Sounds

Tags
audio, equalizer, speakers, subwoofer, wetsounds