Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 02:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Mastercraft 19 Skiier Stars and Stripes
Send a message via MSN to CODY_YARBER07
More Stereo Questions (Equalizer)

I know that I've been asking quite a few questions lately but I'm trying to get my stereo ready for summer and I am stuck again.

My plan is to have my 120 GB iPod with all of my music connected straight to my amplifier so that was I don't have to buy and mount a head unit in my '83 S&S. I did this all last summer and it sounded pretty good to me but my tower speakers and interior speakers weren't very good quality and I have since upgraded to (2) Wetsounds Pro 80's and hopefully (4) JL 7.7's for the interior and an Infinity sub. I just bought a Cadence amplifier for my Wetsounds and I have an Infinity 7541a for the sub and interior speakers. (I was going to bridge two of the channels into 1 for the sub and leave the other two alone for the interior speakers.

First of all.. I know that it worked well last year but what is everyones opinion about hooking an ipod straight to an amplifier?

Secondly.. is it even possible to run 4 interior speakers off of the 2 channels. That will supply about 60w to each speaker if I am correct.

Thirdly.. I want to be able to control the volume of the interior speakers and tower speakers independently if that is possible. I have heard about the Wetsounds equalizer but I blew all of my money on the Pro 80's so I don't have $300 bucks for that and I don't need a mic. A sub volume control would also be nice but is not required.

If you haven't noticed I really am audio stupid..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by CODY_YARBER07; 02-13-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 W/ LT-1 & Powerslot
One thing to think about with iPods over 20GBs capacity, is that they have hard drives and moving parts, so these players aren't ideal for physical environments and have a history of failure if the players are thrown about in usage. I had a 16GB iPod connected directly to my amp all last summer and it worked great. Just something to think about.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently Rinker 212 R1 w/ wakeboard package and custom upgrades
Didnt follow if you where going to be using a head unit or not, but if you do, you can use your fader on the head to control distrubution of music. Thus, if you where to hook your tower speakers up to one amp, then using your RCA's plug that amp into the rear output of your head, and also did the same but opposite to the interior speakers. Using the fader, u can distrubute your music where more is headed to the tower, and less to the interior.

Second option
Use in inline RCA bass remote. Which is what wetsounds has clearly constructed. Then you can indpendently control the amount of volume to each area.

IMHO - I am reworking my system in my boat as well, and will be using the first method. If this does not work, the RCA bass remotes are only 20 bucks, I will be switching to those. I just want to see if the fader will work without having to put additional holes in my dash for these remotes to sit.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
The headphone jack on an iPod is pre-amped, right?

If I am not mistaken, it would be better to use the line out on an iPod Dock to get better quality if you are using a headphone to RCA cable...

My theory incorrect?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dogg View Post
Didnt follow if you where going to be using a head unit or not, but if you do, you can use your fader on the head to control distrubution of music. Thus, if you where to hook your tower speakers up to one amp, then using your RCA's plug that amp into the rear output of your head, and also did the same but opposite to the interior speakers. Using the fader, u can distrubute your music where more is headed to the tower, and less to the interior.

Second option
Use in inline RCA bass remote. Which is what wetsounds has clearly constructed. Then you can indpendently control the amount of volume to each area.

IMHO - I am reworking my system in my boat as well, and will be using the first method. If this does not work, the RCA bass remotes are only 20 bucks, I will be switching to those. I just want to see if the fader will work without having to put additional holes in my dash for these remotes to sit.

Sorry, I left a few words out. I am not using a head unit. Just a cable from my iPod to my amplifier. Where can I get these rca bass remotes if i decide to go with them?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:40 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
The headphone jack on an iPod is pre-amped, right?

If I am not mistaken, it would be better to use the line out on an iPod Dock to get better quality if you are using a headphone to RCA cable...

My theory incorrect?
I was reading about that but it seems that you can not control the volume via line out. If I don't have a head unit then I guess I will have to use the volume control. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODY_YARBER07 View Post
I was reading about that but it seems that you can not control the volume via line out. If I don't have a head unit then I guess I will have to use the volume control. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah, you cannot control the volume on the line out... you would need some type of volume control. Why not get a cheap ipod compatible headunit and call it a day? Mounting issues/restrictions?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 W/ LT-1 & Powerslot
Without my head unit, I could only use the iPod volume control for all speakers at once, i could not get any channel seperation for volume.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1982 Classic Stars and Stripes, 351 Engine Model # PLD WR L15
Figured I might try to piggyback here...anyone install a radio system on anything near a '82 SS? Looking for ideas that will work great but not diminish the interior.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:17 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Yeah, you cannot control the volume on the line out... you would need some type of volume control. Why not get a cheap ipod compatible headunit and call it a day? Mounting issues/restrictions?
Do you think the sound quality would be that much better with an iPod compatible head unit?
I really just like not having to buy and mount a head unit when I don't need anything from it except the ability to change volume. Surely there is some way to skip the head unit and still use line out and change volume..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlay View Post
Figured I might try to piggyback here...anyone install a radio system on anything near a '82 SS? Looking for ideas that will work great but not diminish the interior.
You could always do what I do and just connect an MP3 player straight to an amplifier. I put the amplifier under the bow and the iPod in the cup holder. Very clean and I thought it sounded very good.

Tags
audio, equalizer, speakers, subwoofer, wetsounds