Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-12-2008, 01:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1986 Stars and Stripes, 351W PCM
i was looking on the skidim.com site and noticed this note on their relay:
"If starter stays engaged, it is an indication of a low amperage problem. Check both ends of the battery cables and main grounds."
Time to get the volt meter out again......
Old 09-06-2008, 03:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1986 Stars and Stripes, 351W PCM
just wanted to get back to this post for the benefit of others. It appears my electrical problems have been cured. The initial culprit was a combination of incorrect wiring and a bad starter relay (solenoid). I believe the incorrect wiring caused the relay to go bad. It appears to me that the wiring configuration was not updated when the boat was switched from points to EI. I replaced the relay (the one mounted to the engine block), re-wired per the correct wiring diagram for EI, and cleaned all wire ends and connections, including connections to the engine block. Of note, my connections were not what I would consider terrible having only a minimal of rust. However, a bit of cleaning never hurts. I am no longer experiencing hot start electrical issues. Thanks to the Team Talk forum for all the help.

Tags
alternator, battery, electrical, solenoid, starter