Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
need more info on where the wire was run from and too.

Great install and looks sharp. May be a winter project for me.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 PS 190 Powerslot
Send a message via AIM to Gonzo
looks great

If it ain't broke just give it to me... it will be.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X30 MCX - SOLD
I did mine earlier this summer. Not as good as this one, but I went to the auto parts store, they have "strip" LEDs in 2in, 4in and 6in varieties. I put a 4in above each cupholder (self stick tape) and two 2in ones under the filler cushion shining down on my sub. Then got a 12 in neon tube to put under the dash. I'm debating adding some in the speaker grilles, and I think you may have talked me into it. Did it all in red to match the boat.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
How big is the original hole and how big is the hole for the replacement LED?
it was approximately 1"... i'm not sure exactly... the size but here's a link to the product that was in my '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
And I forgot to ask, other than the drilling I assume replacing the orginal lights with more powerful LEDs was as simple as clipping the wire off the old and attaching to the new? Or did you have to get new wires to each location for power?
yep it's that simple... i had to run a goo bit more as i added a lot of locations but it wasn't too bad... main thing was keeping all the wiring out of sight

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie's View Post
need more info on where the wire was run from and too.

Great install and looks sharp. May be a winter project for me.
i jumped all the LEDs off my current interior courtesy lights... i wanted it all to work off the same switch and w/ LED pulling such a low amperage there's no problem w/ the number on the circuit... when i removed and replaced the existing courtesy lights i just added a "jumper off that which i could take to any where in the boat... i have both cupholders, port side main area speaker grille, and rear "courtesy" light off of the OEM power supply to the rear courtesy light and the rest of the speaker grilles and the 2 under the dash Pods from the OEM power supply to the front...

LEDs are great in the fact that you pretty much cannot over load the circuit... they're terrible in the fact that you have to make a LOT of really small wiring connections that have to be able to survive a marine environment

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

-Jimmy Buffett
Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhuff View Post
I did mine earlier this summer. Not as good as this one, but I went to the auto parts store, they have "strip" LEDs in 2in, 4in and 6in varieties. I put a 4in above each cupholder (self stick tape) and two 2in ones under the filler cushion shining down on my sub. Then got a 12 in neon tube to put under the dash. I'm debating adding some in the speaker grilles, and I think you may have talked me into it. Did it all in red to match the boat.
the speaker girlles really weren't the worst part... just drill your holes like i did the grilles then MAKE SURE they match up to the ones you drilled in the speaker surround... i didn't even drill through the fiberglass... the wires are just sandwiched between there... no sound difference and obviously no visual difference... the only thing you have to do is when you're putting the grille back in place before you get the allen bolts (that hold the grille to the speaker and holds the speaker in place)make sure you tuck the wires up good in the grooves in the back of the grilles so there's no possible way you can see them... it'll come out clean

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

-Parks Bonifay

-Frank Sinatra

-Jimmy Buffett
Old 08-07-2008, 01:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2, 2008
[quote=wakeX2wake;526264]
the first phase was to put 2 8mm LEDs above the cupholders and 2 4 LED Pods under the dash... the 8mm LEDs and the 4 LED Pods were ordered from www.plasmaLED.com... they were great and got shipments out quickly and while there wasn't a number to call their e-mail system was quick answering any questions...

I was also looking at same LEDs for my X-2. I was considering one of the 4-LED pods above the cup holders to light up the entire area. After seeing both first hand do you think the 4-LED pod would be too much for the cupholders?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X30 MCX - SOLD
as far as switching, on mine, it's a three way switch, so I put the LEDs on the "all on" side of the switch, but still have the factory lights on the other one. Thought about adding some big "key finding" lights to that switch.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:27 PM
MC Maniac

[quote=jgarner;526636]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeX2wake View Post
the first phase was to put 2 8mm LEDs above the cupholders and 2 4 LED Pods under the dash... the 8mm LEDs and the 4 LED Pods were ordered from www.plasmaLED.com... they were great and got shipments out quickly and while there wasn't a number to call their e-mail system was quick answering any questions...

I was also looking at same LEDs for my X-2. I was considering one of the 4-LED pods above the cup holders to light up the entire area. After seeing both first hand do you think the 4-LED pod would be too much for the cupholders?
the thing with the four LED Pods for me was that once they're in there they're there... i like the 2 8mm bulbs per side b/c you can adjust them and make the shine wherever you want... it was just a call i made... i think 2 of the 4 Pod lights would be too much too

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

-Parks Bonifay

-Frank Sinatra

-Jimmy Buffett
Old 08-07-2008, 04:29 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhuff View Post
as far as switching, on mine, it's a three way switch, so I put the LEDs on the "all on" side of the switch, but still have the factory lights on the other one. Thought about adding some big "key finding" lights to that switch.
that's a good idea... the kicker with mine is that i don't have any factory lights left except the dash and the one in the glove box... that's a really good idea though... dang now i might have to re-wire next year... have speakers on the on side and then all on the all on side... not a bad idea

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

-Parks Bonifay

-Frank Sinatra

-Jimmy Buffett