Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-29-2008, 11:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Hiccups - Game for Engine Experts

I need some serious help here. I am about to hand this over to a shop but fear the 11 hours they could take to just find the problem let alone fix it...at $100/hour.

Situation
When the transmission is engaged, forward or reverse, there are significant hiccups that have a similar feel as a cylinder missing or the prop thumping into a piece of soft wood. In other words, a slight and very brief reduction in forward momentum with a shake occuring every 2-5 seconds. This happens from 850rpm to 1500rpm, from there on up it stops. Although throttle respons isn't as good as it used to be. Additionally, when coming off plane the engine can die, and at times have a back pressure pop. A discomforting situation I don't want my wife in while driving me skiing. This occurs in the water, or on dry land with a wetted drive shaft. On dry land I have also applied some resistance to the coupler to simulate some resistance that would occur in water, with my boot.

Strange part: Engine runs perfect in neutral and when the transmission is disengaged. It revs great and at worse it only needs two pumps of the throttle and fires right up.

Facts & Conditions
-1993 PS 190 with Ford Indmar engine; BorgWarner Velvet Drive 1:1
-Original Holley carb, has not been rebuilt in the 4.5 years I’ve had the boat
-Issues began after I put on new GT40P Heads, and after shipping from CA to OH
-Heads & rockers torqued to proper specs
-Can still hear the springs popping after running engine as they break in
-New spark plugs – wired in proper firing order
-FantasticFinishMarine.com a ski boat tranny shop in Medina OH says my problem is not the tranny. As much as they’d like it to be so they can sell me a new/rebuilt tranny.
-Pumped and replaced tranny fluid
-Cleaned every connection that deals directly with the engine
-Can’t exactly source the origin of the sound/hiccup since it shudders the whole driveline
-I've played with adjusting timing and believe it's dang near as good as it gets but could be wrong
-New MSD Coil - fleeting hope it was the cause

Questions/Theories
-With higher performance heads do I need a performance intake manifold? Easy to replace
-Could my tranny be going south? Easy to replace
-Could I have an issue with the pressure release valve on the tranny?
-Could I have one valve giving me issues with, possibly one spring that’s a little to taught or too soft?
-I do still need to replace the fuel water seperator.

I will take some video of the condition and post up soon to lend more clarity to the explanation - at least from the driveway, maybe from the lake.

Maybe I'll offer a prize like a whole bunch of ZonePerfect nutrition bars, Stabucks or gas card to the genious that can help solve this gremlin problem.

Last edited by Ryan; 07-29-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Check the compression. Make sure the valve springs are set correctly, but worry more about the compression.

How old are the plug wires, cap and rotor? Does it have electronic conversion or points?

Re-check the firing order and remember they go 1-2-3-4 on one bank anad 5-6-7-8 on the other. No offense but it happens.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:43 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Check the compression. Make sure the valve springs are set correctly, but worry more about the compression.

How old are the plug wires, cap and rotor? Does it have electronic conversion or points?

Re-check the firing order and remember they go 1-2-3-4 on one bank anad 5-6-7-8 on the other. No offense but it happens.
Jim, just the guy I was hoping would reply.
I'll check the compression. Wires are 3 years old and have zip-tied them to the appropriate lengths to prevent such a goof up with how much I've taken things off & on. Cap & rotor unknown age, but has electronic ignition as was standard on '93s.

Can you clarify what you mean for valve springs being set correctly, do you mean seated on the rocker? Should I be hearing them pop at all after running the engine & shutting down?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:10 PM
MC Maniac

Anyone else have some good ideas or similar experience?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Anyone else have some good ideas?
I think the boat misses the salty Pacific and is pissed at you for taking it to some landlocked, snow barren place that she only gets to be used 4 months out of the year. I recommend you buy a new boat that is used to that climate and send the homesick boat back here, so I can use it in the Stadium!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:55 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
I think the boat misses the salty Pacific and is pissed at you for taking it to some landlocked, snow barren place that she only gets to be used 4 months out of the year. I recommend you buy a new boat that is used to that climate and send the homesick boat back here, so I can use it in the Stadium!
You're probably right and if so my boat and I are having issues then because I'm pissed at it too. I'll make you a pretty good deal if you're interested, I know you have a shipping contact already. Although I just removed the painted on CA reg numbers and put on OH in chrome...

Did you sell your boat yet? Maybe we could just do a straight trade since you don't want yours in salt.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
You're probably right and if so my boat and I are having issues then because I'm pissed at it too. I'll make you a pretty good deal if you're interested, I know you have a shipping contact already. Although I just removed the painted on CA reg numbers and put on OH in chrome...

Did you sell your boat yet? Maybe we could just do a straight trade since you don't want yours in salt.

No... boat is staying right here.

I am actually thinking about buying a BF200 for the salt. Its for sale down in SD and has been a Mission Bay boat for its life. Could be a sweet deal and a big upgrade from the 16' Avenger!

Good luck on the boat issues! Sorry I am no help and jacked your thread pretty well, but at least I keep bumping it to the top!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
No... boat is staying right here.

I am actually thinking about buying a BF200 for the salt. Its for sale down in SD and has been a Mission Bay boat for its life. Could be a sweet deal and a big upgrade from the 16' Avenger!

Good luck on the boat issues! Sorry I am no help and jacked your thread pretty well, but at least I keep bumping it to the top!
That would be a great boat!

Feel free to continue this threadjack habit of yours. I really need some ideas on this. I really have a hard time understanding how different the engine is behaving in & out of gear.

Last edited by Ryan; 07-30-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 TT 2007
also check the plugs and see if there is one that is cracked possibly arcing during acceleration

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11
Old 07-30-2008, 01:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Now that we know your plug wires are really, really close to each other, snip the wire ties and set them free. You may have a crossfire issue. If the wires' insulation has become partially conductive, the spark from one cylinder may be arcing to an adjacent wire. If you separate the wires and the problem goes away, buy a set of plug wires.

Tags
engine trouble, gt40, hiccups, ryan, transmission