Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 AM
roun0016

Driver Console Shaking/Flexing Violently

I purchased a '92 Prosport 205 4yrs ago. Shortly after purchasing it, the entire driver console (steering wheel + gauges + windshield) began shaking/flexing violently in any type of rough water (even a light chop).

I had to remove the center windshield because it was breaking the hinges constantly. The boat is used for 90% slalom skiing, and 10% recreation, but it's hit a point where the entire gauge cluster is falling out of the boat even when you simply come back around through the wake for a slalom run on a calm day.

I know the boat isn't ever going to be great on rough water, but I have been in several other similar boats recently, and it made me realize how extreme my issue has become.

Is there anything to check for in the basic structure of the boat that is fixable, or is the hull simply flexing too much with age? Would putting a tower on help, if the problem is in the fiberglass? Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Feel free to email : roun0016@gmail.com
Old 07-28-2008, 03:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
Welcome to the board....If you walk around the boat are there any areas where your rub rail is loose? I discovered on my 91 190 that the rub rail track screws were also used to hold the top edge of the hull to the gunnel/top deck. This might be the source of your flexing.

If your rail is loose then it is worth pulling the insert and tightening the screws all around the boat. You might discover that yours has loose rivets (I think rivets are the way it would have come from the factory) which will need to be drilled/punched out and replaced (bolt and locking nut would be ideal). Please note that putting the rub rail insert back in is a huge pain so give your self plenty of time and maybe get a helper.

Here are two threads that discuss rub rails. Hope this helps.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ght=loose+rail

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ght=loose+rail

Last edited by hester; 07-28-2008 at 03:28 AM.

Tags
console, flexing, shaking, structure, windshield