Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-09-2008, 07:49 PM
maristar 20vrs

Code 14 HELP

I have a 97 maristar w/5.7 indmar. I keep throwing a code 14. Installed a new sensor and cleared the code, but after 5 min. of running it throws the code again. Checked the wires for integrity visually and with an ohmmeter and are OK. What kind of readings should i get off the yellow and black wires on the sensor? Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Took it to the dealer and all they did was wiggle the wires, cleared the code and charged me $250.)
Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Go back to the dealer and get your money back. Seriously, that's BS. They didn't repair anything and if wiggling the wires makes it go away, all they did was repeat the symptom.

How did you check the integrity of the wires? Since 14 is ECT Low, make sure the grounds on the ECM are good and the ECT shares a ground with the MAP sensor. If you set your meter to DC Volts, the yellow wire should show close to 5VDC. J1-29 is the terminal at the ECM that provides the ground reference and J1-2 is the terminal sending voltage to the sensor. Make sure the terminal hasn't backed out of it's normal position. Make good notes and take lots of photos, in case you find what the dealer didn't bother to.

If your motor has had a bad overheat, inspect the wiring on top of the motor. I have seen the wire loom melt, which allowed the wires to contact the hot intake manifold, which melted the insulation and caused a DTC 15 code.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
JimN,
Not that this problem applies to me...but thank you for unselfishly sharing your knowledge. It's awesome to have you here as a resource.
P
Old 07-09-2008, 11:22 PM
MC Master Poster

I just posted what's in the manual.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:51 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I just posted what's in the manual.
But you took the time to type it
Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 PM
maristar 20vrs

Thanks JimN, I checked the voltage on the yellow wire and got 5 volts so I checked the black wire and got nothing. Realized it was the sensor plug giving me grief. Pinched the metal tabs inside the female half of the plug for a tight fit and problem solved. It was quite an oversight on my part not to check the connection thru the plug
but at least i found it. Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
MC Master Poster

"(Took it to the dealer and all they did was wiggle the wires, cleared the code and charged me $250.)"

Yeah, I just had a 45 minute conversation with Greg Clower about this kind of thing.

Good to hear you got it working.

The things we were told to do when a boat came in for service were:

1) Verify the complaint. If it's not verified, it can't be found.

2) Do a visual inspection. Some things are there to be seen.

3) If it's electrical, do a wiggle test. Sometimes this will cause/cure a problem, even if it's just temporary.

4) Verify that the work done actually fixed it. Sometimes, this is not done and an intermittent problem will show up again.

Tags
codes, ecu, electrical, sensor