Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2008, 12:56 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1988
New interior,'88 P/S 20th Anniversary Platinum Edition

This may be my first post. At any rate, I've enjoyed seeing and reading about the great work many of you on this forum have done on your boats. It certainly helped incent me to begin the restoration of my much loved '88 Prostar 190.

I bought this boat in the Spring of 1990 from a friend who purchased it new in '88. We skied behind it with our wives that second summer he owned it and I thought at the time it was the best looking Prostar I'd ever seen (still do). So when he decided the next season to buy a 1990 model I was first in line to take this one off his hands.

I've had some great times in this boat and of late was distressed that it was showing it's age. The interior was cracking and mildew stained. The carpet was getting pretty grungy, and the the gel coat had weathered.

So seeing the succuss Mssrs. Timko and Shepard had with their projects, I removed the interior, sent it off to an upholsterer, purchased new marine carpet and had it installed. The shop that installed the carpet also does hull refinishing and wet sanded a couple of test areas to see how well the finish would come back. While it looked great, that part of the job will have to wait for another season or two. In the meantime, I repainted the ventilation grills and wheeled out the gel coat above the water line.

I think it came out well -except that the transom is still pretty cloudy.

My goal is to restore the boat to it's original condition -or something reasonably close. So, I did my best to choose vinyls that matched the original and had the upholsterer duplicate the original patterns as best as he could.

Whether it's my first post or not, I'm sure it's the first time I've tried to post a picture. So hopefully this will work.

I'll also post links to other photos showing before shots of the upholstery that had been removed, and "after" shots of the boat as it is now.

More photos (Before): http://www.flickr.com/photos/2301666...7605778794624/

More photos (After): http://www.flickr.com/photos/2301666...7605784466453/

Tags
20th anniversary, platinum, prostar 190, upholstery