Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2008, 06:58 PM
rdowdell

Thumbs down Port riser getting too hot to touch.

i have read only one other thread that discussed this issue but there was no answer to the problem given... i hope someone can help.

i have a 94 mastercraft maristar 225 vrs with the indmar 5.7l gm small block. last season we had a day from h*ll thats seen the boat on the trailer since.

it all started with a blown impeller which caused the engine to overheat. the warning buzzer came on and i pulled off throttle. i've had this problem before and imediatly recognized what to do. the only thing i didnt count on was the fact that we had lost the port exhaust flapper somewhere along the way that day (i realized this after we pulled it back onto the trailer). when the boat came to a stop the backwash swirled around the transom and an audile crack/knock sound came from the engine compartment, along with a decent steam plum from the rear of the boat. this was something that i did not recognized so we shot off a couple of flares and were towed back in.

after fixing the impeller i checked the oil and it was full of water, and so were the cylinders. i assumed this was a result of the backwash and no flapper. i changed the oil/sparkplugs/ sprkplug wires and distributor cap. i took her back out and she started up just fine. oil pressure is great, my engine temp holds a steady 160'ish, and there is plenty of go when i punch it. my only problem is that the port exhaust riser begins to heat up immediatly after starting the engine as compared with the starboard riser. under idle/marina speed this temperature difference is barely noticle as both risers stay cool enough to touch and i can run the boat like that for hours if i wanted to. but once you push it past 2000 rpm the "crown" of the riser begins to heat up quite considerably after only a minute or so. this heat then transfers through the rest of the riser and begins to heat up the exhaust manifold as well. after 2 minutes or so you begin to smell that "hot engine" smell and you can only keep your hand on the riser for a couple of seconds while the starboard side remains so cool you'd be able to keep it there indefinately.

i have checked all of the hoses for blockage and have also ruled out the thermostat as the flow coming from the housing to the exhaust manifolds is the same on both sides. i replaced the exhaust manifold after removing about 2 tablespoons of rust and debris and still the exact same problem.

should i change the riser next or could my problem still be a blockage somewhere. my engine temp holds steady though... a blockage would cause the whole thing to overheat no? when i removed the exhaust manifold i inspected the riser and it appeared in decent shape and there was no blockage. i have also recently inspected the silencers and they too appear to be ok.

if anyone could please help... this seems to bewilder every boat mechanic i have talked to in this city (calgary, ab, canada). our season is short enough and the fact that this boat still isnt running drives me crazy...i have three weeks before our first planed trip, hopefully i can bring a working boat.

thanks in advance, ryan
Old 06-08-2008, 07:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205, Indmar 5.7 w/ Velvet Drive 1:1
Ryan, I can't help you but glad to see you came on here. You might get the help you need.

There are a few of us Calgarian/Cochranites on here. You might find the give/take a pull thread helpful if you are itching to get water time.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:27 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowdell View Post
i have read only one other thread that discussed this issue but there was no answer to the problem given... i hope someone can help.

i
thanks in advance, ryan
First of all HELP is on the way. Time for exhaust manifolds and risers. Just spend the bucks and get it done. You can remove them and boil them to try and clean them out, but they probably need to be changed.
When done...do a oil change and impeller again. Save the old one as a spare.

Jim@BAWS

PS Please double check your "CAPS" button on your computer. That also seems to be broken HA HA H

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 AM
rdowdell

thanks alot Jim!

just waiting on two new risers that should be here sometime this week... i'll keep you posted.

are there any good posts on a do-it-yourself oil change? i assume its just like a car but my only question is should i warm up the oil first to make it easier to drain? and can i just connect a longer bleeder hose that will reach to my drain plug and out the bottom of the boat? and what about the thermostat, should it also be replaced?

thanks again, cant wait to boat.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 mastercraft sportstar 19
the 15w40 really needs warmed up first to drain properly through the drain hose. if its like mine, i just pull the hose through my drain and its long enough to fit into a bottle on the ground. has anyone ever installed the ETX style exhaust on their engines? supposed to improve performance. larry from indmar stated they were salty though....around 800 each
Old 06-09-2008, 11:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1978 Stars and Stripes, PCM 351 (60hrs)
Cooked

There's a good chance you cooked your exhaust hoses or silencer, causing delamination inside. When running, this may partially block exhaust flow causing one side's (exhaust) backpressure to be higher than the other, thereby "pushing" some/most/all the cooling water to the other manifold where there's lower backpressure. I'm not sure how to best troubleshoot that, but if you've already ensured the water inlet hoses and fittings to the manifolds are clear, move futher downstream.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205, Indmar 5.7 w/ Velvet Drive 1:1
Shows what i know. Seems like the consensus is that it IS an exhaust problem. I never thought that might happen.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:49 PM
rdowdell

there is some blistering at the riser end of the exhaust hose but no damage at the other end near the silencer. and otherthan being a little grubby there appears to be nothing wrong with the silencer.

do i have to order a custom hose through mastercraft or does someone sell this stuff by the foot? it doesn't seem too pliable to me.

thanks again
Old 06-10-2008, 02:56 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowdell View Post
there is some blistering at the riser end of the exhaust hose but no damage at the other end near the silencer. and otherthan being a little grubby there appears to be nothing wrong with the silencer.

do i have to order a custom hose through mastercraft or does someone sell this stuff by the foot? it doesn't seem too pliable to me.

thanks again
They have what you need, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1139

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Tags
everheating, exhaust, riser, uneven