Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 03:37 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I'm taking a vacation soon. How can I find out if there are any Team Talk Members who live in my destination city?

Try this link.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
If you have a early 80's MasterCraft with the PleasureCraft Marine Engine you can find a copy of the complete 335 page service manual here.

Last edited by ski_king; 02-27-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:40 PM
MC Hero

How do I repack a traditional shaft stuffing box/packing gland?

1. Use a pipe wrench to loosen the packing nut all the way off the threads. Using a pair of needle nosed pliers or a tiny screwdriver or coat hang wire, harpoon the old rope which is packed inside the big nut. There are three of them and they come out pretty easily one at a time. Keeping them intact will save you some time later.

2. On the 1:1, the rope size is 1/4" (I believe it's 3/16" on the gear reduction transmissions). Using one of your old bits of rope, cut the new rope using a razor blade so it doesn't fray. You'll need three pieces.

3. Wrap the first piece around the shaft to make sure it fits around with hardly any space at the joint. Then cram it up in the nut while keeping it around the shaft abutting itself. Tighten the nut back down to seat it.

4. Unscrew the nut off the threads again and repeat step 3 for the next two pieces. Stagger the joints so they're not all lined up. Once it's seated, this can be tricky to find the joints. A good flashlight and some good eyes come in handy. Either 180 or 120 degrees is good. No hard numbers so long as they're not too close to the same between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3.

5. When all of the three rope sections are in the nut, tighten it back down.

6. Put the boat in the water and leave the shaft accessible. Crank up the motor and let it run for a second. Adjust so you see some drip. Then take the boat out and run it a while. When I went with my mechanic to do one, we ran it for about ten minutes. Bring the boat back to neutral and readjust the packing nut for the proper drip rate.

7. Drip Rate. There's no hard, fast answer to this. My mechanic likes 1 drip every second or two. I've read anything from once every 4 seconds, 15 seconds all the way to every five minutes. I guess if you can hold your hand over the packing and it doesn't feel like it's burning up after running the boat hard for a bit, it's probably alright. Once you get it like you like it, tighten up the jam nut.

That's it.

Note: The picture is just for reference. The description above is how I do it. Although it shows four pieces of packing, I only use three.
Attached Images

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 03-30-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:44 PM
MC Hero

What does my Hull Identification Number mean?

From www.mymastercraft.com with some additions from TT forum discussion.

Here is a simple guide to reading your hull ID. There are some exceptions to this due to last minute order changes so PLEASE view this as a GUIDELINE. Example: MBCAXAA1K304 The MBC (first three positions) stands for... you guessed it MasterCraft Boat Company. Position 4 = Engine type A= 5.7 TBI 1:1, C= 5.7 TBI PowerSlot, T= 8.1, H= 8.1 VRS, M= MCX 1:1, N= MCX 1.56 or VRS, U= 6.0 1:1, Z= 6.0 VRS Position 5 = Boat type A= PS190, B= PS190TT, C=PS197TT, X=PS197, T=PS209, V=MS230, U=MS210, L=X-Star, H=MS280, 2=PS205V Positions 6,7 and 8 Sequential serial number (never repeated in a model year) Position 9 = Month made A=JAN, B=FEB, C=MAR, D=APR, E=MAY, F=JUN, G=JUL, H=AUG, I=SEP, J=OCT, K=NOV, L=DEC Position 10 = Year made Use the last digit of the year made. In the example above the year made would be 2003 but the boat is a 2004 model. Positions 11 & 12 = Model Year The last two digits of the model year go here. The above example is a 2004.

As for engine/transmission combos for older boats.
U = 351 HO with 1:1
P = 351 with 1.5:1
S = 351 with 1:1

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Last edited by east tx skier; 03-16-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:41 PM
MC Hero

Can I buy parts for my MasterCraft at the local auto parts store? You got any part numbers?

The answer is (1) maybe, and (2) yeah, some of them. For the record, you can buy them for Chevys, too. But I don't have any part numbers for those. If someone wants to email me some, I'll be happy to add them.

First of all, there are some automotive parts you DO NOT want to use on a boat. A few of these are (1) Carburetor (you can marinize one, but it won't work out of the box), (2) Alternator, and (3) starter. You want marinized versions of all of these things. The reason is simple. You don't want your boat to explode. The marine alternators and starters are sealed to prevent spark. The marinized carb has bent j-tubes (and probably some other things) that keep gas where it's supposed to be. There may be some other things, but they've slipped my mind at the moment. These part numbers are not exclusive. You can probably cross reference them to whatever brand you prefer.

Part Numbers for the Ford 351

Oil Filter is Motorcraft FL1A, Napa Gold 1515, Fram PH-8A or comparable WIX filter.

Fuel Filter Element is NAPA part # 3943 or #39413 (I've seen both). I'm also told that for the Racor canister filter used up through 91, the universal part # is R11T from Parker, and is the same as skidim's part number 0501.

Spin on Fuel Filter (early 90s MCs) is WIX #33225 (From NAPA)

Spark Plug Wire Set is PCM RA121008/9

Shaft Packing is 1/4" for 1:1 and 3/16" for 1.5:1

Distributor Cap NAPA part # AL171

Rotor is NAPA part # AL163

Spark Plugs for 351 HO are Autolite 764 (Copper), gap 0.035; Spark Plugs for the 351 are Autolite 24 plugs (Copper) gap 0.035.

Impeller is Johnson 812 (splined)

Water Pump Belt for 351 HO is NAPA XL 25 7448

PCV Valve is NAPA Part #2-9210; or Motorcraft # EV-68 2F16

Part Numbers for the Chevy 350

These have been collected from other owners. I can't vouch for them as I don't have a Chevy in my boat.

Oil filter (MCX) NAPA Gold 1069

Non-engine Parts

Gas Shocks for motorbox (93 - ??). NAPA #819-5592

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Last edited by east tx skier; 07-13-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:13 PM
MC Hero

Are there limits on what I can post? Are there rules for using Team Talk?

In a word, yes. This site is owned by MasterCraft. When you signed up to participate in this forum, you electronically signed a user agreement. You can read a copy of the user agreement and the posting guidelines here.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 04-12-2006, 06:53 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
How can I join Team MasterCraft or Renew my Membership?

The Team Talk home page has a link to join or renew membership in the upper lefthand corner.
OR, go on-line to www.jointmc.com or call 1-877-4mc-stuf. If you want to renew or want to know when you should renew, look in the lower righthand corner of your current membership card for the GOOD THRU date and you should receive a reminder card from MC in the mail shortly before that date, with the above website and phone no. on it. If you have problems joining or renewing on-line, just call 1-877-4mc-stuf and they will complete the process for you.

How can I order from the ProShop?
You can order on-line in the ProShop on the MasterCraft home page or call 1-877-4mc-stuf to complete the process.
Any time you have call 1-877-4mc-stuf to join or renew, order ProShop items or have resort to calling to confirm an on-line Membership package shipment or a Proshop package shipment, always request a TRACKING NUMBER for the company they shipped your stuff to you by and they should give it to you with the shipping company name and website so you can track your order. If they can't produce a Tracking Number your order has not been completed and they will correct it and enter your order.

How do I order Team Mastercraft Exclusive items?
You have to be a current Team MasterCraft member with a vaild membership # to order from the Team MasterCraft Exclusive Item section, using the link in the ProShop section, or use the info above by calling 1-877-4mc-stuf.

If all of the above fails to work for you and you still have unresolved issues, call Greg Clower [owner relations, Team MasterCraft CSR] @ 1-800-443-8774 or e-mail him @ gregory.clower@mastercraft.com and he will get it resolved for you.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 11-19-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Owners Manual / Boat Manual / Trailer Manual

http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=Manual

Owners Manuals from 1978 to 2006, and trailer manual.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:42 AM
MC Hero

How many posts do I need before my description, i.e., "Devotee," changes from whatever it is now?

TT Newbie 0
TT Regular 30
TT Enthusiast 100
MC Fanatic 500
MC Devotee 1,000
MC Maniac 2,500
MC Addict 5,000
MC Platinum 8,000
MC Master Poster 10,000
MC Hero 20,000

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Last edited by east tx skier; 05-05-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:51 AM
MC Hero

What should I have in the First Aid kit on the boat?

What should I have in the First Aid kit on the boat?

This modification to a standard first aid kit is courtesy of Robert T.

The Basics:

Typical first aid kit, but tweak it for on water use. You are not going to close any wounds on the boat that are not superficial, so I limit the amount of wound closure strips etc that I keep on the boat. Also, I take out about half of the typical band-aids, as they will simply fall off when wet.

I add a few "waterproof" bandages, and add about ten yards of duct tape. Duct tape is your best friend in an emergency. Wilderness First Aid/Medics will always forgo just about anything in their kit for duct tape. Along with a few gauze pads, it makes the only band-aid worth putting on in a marine setting.

That will take care of the simple little things, assuming you buy a decent kit. I put the kit into a Pelican case to keep it perfectly dry.

Now you have to look at the bad stuff, what is likely and what you need to deal with it.

1. Deep lacerations (as in a wakeboard hitting somebody in the head, or somebody getting sliced open by a prop). For that, A bottle of water to start (just keep a bottle of drinking water under the seat along with the kit), then the best thing to use is a few tampons and your duct tape. I keep three tampons in my kit, they are perfect for wound packing. Sounds crazy, but trust me they work great for it.

2. Nasal spray. If you have a seriously bad cut that simply will not stop bleeding and you are more than a few minutes from help, you can soak a tampon with nasal spray and stuff the wound. It will stop the bleeding almost immediately.

3. They are prescription, but I also always keep an Epi-Pen in my kit. The likelihood of somebody going into anaphylactic shock on a boat is high, as bee stings are likely. Ask anyone that has had a sever allergic reaction, you dont have much time. They are easy to come by, just ask around and I bet somebody you know has to keep them around. They replace them after 6 months, but they are usually good to keep for a year or more (until the liquid starts getting cloudy). If you use them without a prescription, you are theoretically opening yourself up to liability but if your kid was on my boat and was dying without it, I can guarantee you that we would make the right decision. Just something to think about.

4. I keep one bag of quick clot, but that's overkill. A lady lost her leg on our lake last year from swimming around a ski boat at night that was running. She almost bled to death, and the hospital parking lot was actually within 200' of where the accident happened (we have a hospital on the lake here). Having a bag of Quic clot is cheap insurance for me, but again its probably overkill.

5. Most important thing....cell phone and a map of the lake.

6. If you are trained, a CPR shield should always be on the boat. I keep one on the keychain. The little cheap one in a nylon pouch is fine. Just in case.

7. I keep a sam splint in the boat too. Cheap, and multipurpose. I used it last year on my son to splint his arm when he broke it on the water. You can also use it to immobilize their neck in the event of a potential spinal injury. The likelihood of a ankle/leg break is high enough in water sports to warrant keeping it on hand. In my opinion.

Some helpful links.

http://www.z-medica.com/application...stresponder.asp

http://www.epipen.com/anaphylaxis_main.aspx

http://www.epipen.com/epipen_main.aspx

http://www.sammedical.com/cgi-bin/W...Products/Splint

http://www.med-worldwide.com/product4281.html

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Closed Thread