Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 08-28-2017, 10:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
WDH hitches are good for heavy travel trailers, usually not necessary for most boats because of different towing geometry.

I would recommend adjusting the tongue weight so that it's 5-7% of the total towed weight (you can move gear around in the boat, stow the anchor in the stern, etc), make sure your tailer is level when hooked up to the Expy (adjust the hitch height), and fugeddabout it.

Google "measuring tongue weight" there are ways you can use your bathroom scale at home to get a close approximation.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
My friend told me you don't really start to need a WD hitch until the trailer is around 5000lbs, after that he says get the WD system.

I installed in on my wifes old truck trailer combo for her horses and it helped a lot she said, that was on a 01 1500.

The front end lifting is something a WD will fix.

However, given the weights you listed, and the tongue weight you came out with I would say you need to take the time and properly adjust your trailer first. This might include sliding the axles forward if you have too much tongue weight. If your going to go through with it I suggest loading yup the boat with all your gear, fill the coolers with water to simulate that weight and go from there.

WD system also needs to be installed properly aswell. It took me an entire afternoon to set up the truck/trailer when I did it. You do it once perfectly and then its always perfect.

To fix your bathroom scale issue, get another one and build a jig to spread the weight across both, then add them to get the total weight.