Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 x45
Hey Tim,

Just wanted to thank you for the help. you were correct that it was the TAC module.

I guess at some point there was a crack in the case and either a big rain or a poorly placed lifejacket aided in getting it wet in there. With that being said, I cut the tabs off the back and cut the seal between the plastic and metal and took it apart. It was fairly clean and didn't show signs of any fried connections or bulged resistors so i dried it out for some time and re-tested it in the boat. Fired up right away and didn't throw any codes. i took it out and siliconed it together as well as fixed the crack and we are good to go. i have done this with electronics before and you'd be surprised what drying it out and sealing them can do. The way I see it is if I'm going to buy the part anyway, i might as well try to fix it. I got lucky this time.

Cheers

Danno
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Hey Tim,

Just wanted to thank you for the help. you were correct that it was the TAC module.

I guess at some point there was a crack in the case and either a big rain or a poorly placed lifejacket aided in getting it wet in there. With that being said, I cut the tabs off the back and cut the seal between the plastic and metal and took it apart. It was fairly clean and didn't show signs of any fried connections or bulged resistors so i dried it out for some time and re-tested it in the boat. Fired up right away and didn't throw any codes. i took it out and siliconed it together as well as fixed the crack and we are good to go. i have done this with electronics before and you'd be surprised what drying it out and sealing them can do. The way I see it is if I'm going to buy the part anyway, i might as well try to fix it. I got lucky this time.

Cheers

Danno

That's awesome! Glad you could fix it and got your boat running!

Did you happen to take some photos of the repair?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 x45
No sorry. no pics. my tech skills for loading them on this site are limited anyway
Old 08-18-2014, 03:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC 2005 X-30 LS1
Did you ever get your problem resolved? I have the same problem on my 05 x-30. I've been in the shop for 8 weeks and $3300 with no end in sight. Replaced ECM and TAC modules. Nothing has helped.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtG 05 X30 View Post
Did you ever get your problem resolved? I have the same problem on my 05 x-30. I've been in the shop for 8 weeks and $3300 with no end in sight. Replaced ECM and TAC modules. Nothing has helped.
How can they charge you $3300 when they having even found the problem? You could have done what they have done for a 1/3 of that. Just tossing parts at something is wrong and when a dealer does it it's robbery!

Tags
x-45