Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 x45
Hey Tim,

Just wanted to thank you for the help. you were correct that it was the TAC module.

I guess at some point there was a crack in the case and either a big rain or a poorly placed lifejacket aided in getting it wet in there. With that being said, I cut the tabs off the back and cut the seal between the plastic and metal and took it apart. It was fairly clean and didn't show signs of any fried connections or bulged resistors so i dried it out for some time and re-tested it in the boat. Fired up right away and didn't throw any codes. i took it out and siliconed it together as well as fixed the crack and we are good to go. i have done this with electronics before and you'd be surprised what drying it out and sealing them can do. The way I see it is if I'm going to buy the part anyway, i might as well try to fix it. I got lucky this time.

Cheers

Danno
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Hey Tim,

Just wanted to thank you for the help. you were correct that it was the TAC module.

I guess at some point there was a crack in the case and either a big rain or a poorly placed lifejacket aided in getting it wet in there. With that being said, I cut the tabs off the back and cut the seal between the plastic and metal and took it apart. It was fairly clean and didn't show signs of any fried connections or bulged resistors so i dried it out for some time and re-tested it in the boat. Fired up right away and didn't throw any codes. i took it out and siliconed it together as well as fixed the crack and we are good to go. i have done this with electronics before and you'd be surprised what drying it out and sealing them can do. The way I see it is if I'm going to buy the part anyway, i might as well try to fix it. I got lucky this time.

Cheers

Danno

That's awesome! Glad you could fix it and got your boat running!

Did you happen to take some photos of the repair?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 x45
No sorry. no pics. my tech skills for loading them on this site are limited anyway
Old 08-18-2014, 03:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC 2005 X-30 LS1
Did you ever get your problem resolved? I have the same problem on my 05 x-30. I've been in the shop for 8 weeks and $3300 with no end in sight. Replaced ECM and TAC modules. Nothing has helped.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtG 05 X30 View Post
Did you ever get your problem resolved? I have the same problem on my 05 x-30. I've been in the shop for 8 weeks and $3300 with no end in sight. Replaced ECM and TAC modules. Nothing has helped.
How can they charge you $3300 when they having even found the problem? You could have done what they have done for a 1/3 of that. Just tossing parts at something is wrong and when a dealer does it it's robbery!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 07 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Do you have the factory prop still? How heavy was the boat weighted for surfing?

edit
the boat going back to idle is part of the ETC issue, but the ETC may not be bad. It could be the heavy loaded surf condition combined with the stock prop. The first time it happened to me I ended up surfing past the boat while looking at my wife trying to figure out what she had done. She just looked at me like I didn't do anything!

One thing I noticed when this happen to me was the boat was struggling to get to surf speed with the factory prop and a lot of weight. I think what happens is the boat is asking for more throttle from the cruise or PP and the factory prop just doesn't have the nuts to push the boat when loaded down. When I switch to a different prop, hi5 OJ Props, the issues stopped and I didn't even need to change the ETC box.

I'm not saying your module isn't bad, or that you need to change your prop for heavy loaded surfing. That's just my bit of info.

I'm still looking for the emails and I'll get the photo tomorrow for you.
what prop did you upgrade too or what size? please read my message at the end of this thread. I need some help.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 07 X-Star
I have a 2007 X-Star and my Mechanic said he called Texas MC and they told him I would need a Throttle Body Assembly they said that is the part that usually goes out and not the sensor. But the part for the Throttle Body Assy is $900 - the Sensor is $350.

My problem started early in the summer the Chk Engine Alarm would go off (it had been going off and no codes would come up) Well I finally cracked a head and had to rebuild the engine. Anyway before and after the rebuild the Boat would go into safety mode meaning it would give enough power to plain out. I would then just kick it back to idle turn the boat off then back on and then it would work. Near the end of the summer it seemed to happen more often like 2 or 3 times each day. In the beginning of last summer it would just occasionally happen.

I guess my question is should I have him remove and disassemble the Throttle Body and clean? Or does anyone now where I can find this part for less than $900???
Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dayz View Post
Here are a few pictures.
Beautiful lake! Where is that?

Tags
x-45