Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-11-2014, 10:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 87 PS190, powerslot
Thermostat failed - parts store purchase? 87PS190

Can I buy one at an auto parts store? Or do I need to order one... Would like to avoid ordering one if possible, would prefer to get it installed before the weekend.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
The 143 degree thermostat at Napa is part # 18-3551 for the thermostat alone. With a gasket it is 18-3671. Not sure if that is the correct temp thermostat for your boat, but I think it is.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 08-12-2014, 08:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks!! Anything will be better. Mine must have failed open... I had noticed that temp wasn't being held as steady as I"d like. Last two trips out, it's never gotten over 120. Thought I had a gauge failure, but if you shut her down and it gets heat soaked, the temp gauge comes up to about normal...
Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
I'd pop it open and investigate first. I've had flakes of rust prop the thermostat open enough to keep water flowing. Cleaned them out and all was good again.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Oh gracious. Dove into this last night, after work delayed my plans for an evening ski run...

I'm not sure if this was the original thermostat or not, but it was pretty crusty.

Got things apart...

The top half on the thermostat housing had the majority of the gasket on it. It really didn't want to come off. Scrapers, wire brush, etc. Finally it mostly cleaned up, but I could tell it wasn't flat. Brought out the straight edge. there was probably 1-2 16" of clearance under the straight edge from side to side. It's hard to see in the pics. Gonna be hard to have that seal.

I got out the big finishing file, clamped it in the vice, and proceeded to level the high spots, and bring the whole surface back to flush. Then I gave it a quick buff with the scotch brite in the rotary. Came out looking pretty good.

There was a lot of rusty crusty corrosion around the inlet and outlet of the water hoses, so I used the file and wire brushes to clean those up...
And of course the paint was flaking off... so I wire brushed the crap out of the housing to get good adhesion for new paint.

The new thermostat didn't come with the right gasket, so I made my own...

Finally time to paint the housing... Out comes the Rustoelum...

Meanwhile... The block side of things cleaned up *much* more easily... Just a scrape to get the big chunks off, and the scotch brite in the rotary... and it came out looking like this...

That's where I quit last night... Paint needed to dry, and I was getting tired. I'll finish up this evening most likely. Won't take long to bolt everything together. I have to clean the rust out of the water hoses and get them to seal again. Will probably use a tiny bit of RTV on the inside of the hoses just to be safe. Those hoses are pretty old and hard. They've now been added to the replacement list this winter.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
never seze on your hose conenctions will be good. makes life easier next time
Old 08-16-2014, 09:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Good tip waterlogged! And awesome job ncsucar! Wouldn't get that kinda service at the dealer that's for sure!!!! Changed my Tstat this summer on my 08 and was surprised at how crappy that housing looked!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:38 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
The 143 degree thermostat at Napa is part # 18-3551 for the thermostat alone. With a gasket it is 18-3671. Not sure if that is the correct temp thermostat for your boat, but I think it is.
Not bad - does the stat have the little bypass hole in the Napa version? Cheaper than buying online and paying freight...
Old 08-16-2014, 11:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Mike, I'll look tomorrow before I button things up.

I think it does. Price sure was right. $4.75. No gasket, so I had to make my own...but that took 20 minutes, and I had all the gasket stuff in there.

Antiseize eh... hmm... I actually like that idea a lot on the hoses. Thanks Waterlogged. I think I'll give that a shot.