Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft, prostar 205, 1999, indmar
need wiring advice NO POWER

Fostgate m600 5 amp wired direct to battery with fuse inline on Pos. Trigger wire going to fusion ip600g head unit which has yellow red and black connected to same color wires previously feeding the old clarion head unit just removed. Problem is neither the new amp or head unit power up?

Could be a problem in fuse circuit panel which may explain why clarion was dead. Took down panel so I can access but now what? Have not seen those plastic units wires run to on the panel. I reseated a few times. The connecters are corroded. Where can you buy a replacement citcut breaker and do you remove from panel?
Old 08-10-2014, 10:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1 View Post
Fostgate m600 5 amp wired direct to battery with fuse inline on Pos. Trigger wire going to fusion ip600g head unit which has yellow red and black connected to same color wires previously feeding the old clarion head unit just removed. Problem is neither the new amp or head unit power up?

Could be a problem in fuse circuit panel which may explain why clarion was dead. Took down panel so I can access but now what? Have not seen those plastic units wires run to on the panel. I reseated a few times. The connecters are corroded. Where can you buy a replacement citcut breaker and do you remove from panel?
Did you check for voltage on any of the red or the yellow wire? What color was the trigger wire on the amp and Fusion?

What does this mean- "Have not seen those plastic units wires run to on the panel."?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:17 AM
TT Newbie

not checked voltage yet on the red or yellow yet. I will go do that now. trigger wire is blue on each (i.e. amp and fusion).

I think the "plastic units" = "circuit breakers" installed on the panel under the steering wheel. I removed the frame of the panel so I can access without sticking my head up under the dash. looks like wiring to the different circuits is different or I was considering trying to remove the connectors going to the circuit breaker labeled "stereo" and reconnecting to the accessory 1 or accessory 2.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1 View Post
not checked voltage yet on the red or yellow yet. I will go do that now. trigger wire is blue on each (i.e. amp and fusion).

I think the "plastic units" = "circuit breakers" installed on the panel under the steering wheel. I removed the frame of the panel so I can access without sticking my head up under the dash. looks like wiring to the different circuits is different or I was considering trying to remove the connectors going to the circuit breaker labeled "stereo" and reconnecting to the accessory 1 or accessory 2.
If you're not familiar with how to use a multi-meter, you need to become familiar. You should also become familiar with some electrical terminology and theory- it will make any electrical troubleshooting far easier and accurate.

You can use a test light, too (the kind with a bulb). DO NOT use this for any circuits that involve the senders and ECM, only supply voltages like the red and yellow wires or testing for a ground.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM
TT Newbie

replaced the fuse on the red wire near the battery (not at the circuit breaker panel and not the new amp power lead) and got power. Thanks for the info.

Tags
fuses, power