Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2005, 11:55 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Custom Jump Seat Project -- Prostar 205

Okay, so for the last couple of years, I've been searching for an OEM jump seat for the walk through of my 93 Prostar 205. MC sure must not have sold many of these because I've only seen a picture of one of them apart from the 93 brochure. For the last year or so, I've been making do with a SN jump seat I picked up second hand. It's functional, but shorter than the observer seat in my boat. Okay, I'm anal and it just doesn't look perfect.

So in April, I had an idea. If they don't make the OEM seat anymore, maybe I can still get the skins and work backwards. I was right. Lex at Rambo Marine got me the OEM skins (with accent color on the seat back). In the box they remained until I had some spare time.

Last week, I built a base and had the skins stuffed. I made it from plywood. Using the seam dimensions and the dimensions of the walk through and observer seat, I cut the sides first and added a frame for support afterwards. I had to do some trial and error with the backrest angle. I wasn't true to the design of the original seat completely. Rather, I added a step on the bow like a smaller version of the 197. I also hinged the seat back, so I could store a cooler under it, as well as the seat bottom (so people wouldn't step on the cushion when they go up to the bow. I put some extra support under the seat base, added a plywood top, and covered it in non-skid. I also added a pair of cupholders (only one pictured). The curve on the base was tricky. Stacking plywood would cause it to be heavier than it already was. So I sandwiched 3/4" pieces of styrofoam insulation. As I feared though, contact cement eats styrofoam. So I remembered, if you can't duck it, fu..ggitabout it. I wrapped my sandwiched foam in duck tape and cemented that to the side piece to get the right contour. It's purely for show and bears no load.

All in all, it turned out better than I expected. If anyone is interested, I can get the dimensions.

It wasn't cheap though. The skins alone were $220. Foam was another $25. Wood, cupholder inserts, marine carpet, non-skid, hinges, etc. It all adds up. In the end, I gotta say it's worth it for me.
Attached Images

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 10-12-2005 at 12:03 PM.