Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
Hey I know that boat!!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:12 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1977 MAstercraft
Had it out again last night....just can't seem to get it to idle once hot. It wants to stall when in neutral, especially when coming out of reverse. Time to show the carb some love . On the up side...getting better with the old school trailer. It really does take some commitment.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
Welcome, Nice Boat. Pics, Pics, Pics. Fixing idle problems can be time consuming, stay with it, a lot of help here.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Hmmm.......you bought it for your daughter ?

You may be a Wolf.

Looks like a nice boat from the ONE pic you posted.

Welcome to TT.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
wolf have you adjusted the idle cable? The boat always idled higher than my buddy's Supreme. Have you verified the float is not too high causing a dripping of gas. ie flooding?. Another way to lower the normal engine idle would be to slightly retard the timing, easy to do just loosen and turn the distributor. I hadn't not checked timing in years. You could retard the engine and then increase the idle using the idle adjustment cable
Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Skier 1986, 351 Windsor 1:1 Velvet Drive
Interior Resto

Welcome Aboard! I was new to restorations on these older MC's last year too!...actually still considered a newbie! You can check my "Albums" for detailed info and pics on carpet install, which I did completely myself, and the upholstery, which I sent out to a shop. I also got into my guages a bit, but mine being an '86 will be a bit different than yours, PM me if you have any direct questions on carpet and upholstery....my time online is hit and miss.

I Like your graphics/colors, will watch for updates. We all love to see pics, post them often!

Keep practicing with the trailer, nice to have the original. Its a bit intimidating driving it on, but now after a couple of seasons, I am pretty comfortable with mine. Best of luck!
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2014, 01:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1977 MAstercraft
Thanks for the info...I'm a little bit overwhelmed by these Holley carbs...as I said, I come from the motorcycle racing world, seems our carbs were much simpler... I am going to play with it again tonight and yes, I will take pictures.
The boat really doesn't need a full resto...the floor is pretty good (one spot is a little soft, but not bad - easy to replace), I am thinking the stringers should be good enough...I keep inspection as I have time and don't see any glaring issues...then again, I haven't drilled any holes either. I'd like to do the carpet and upholstery, and the graphics kit before I actually giver her the keys.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:26 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft,
Well when you start on the trailer, a look into the stringers of the boat may be a good idea, to my knowledge MC did not put fiberglass until 1983. Great looking boat though!!
Old 08-02-2014, 02:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Very nice boat for its age. I would be awfully suspect of the stringers before a complete rebuild of the interior though. On the plus side, Mastercraft seemed to have better luck with wood construction vs Correct Craft where rot is expected by boats not even as old as this.

Haynes made a pretty good Holley Tech manual, it is worth getting. The floats in the marine version are a type of solid foam, which is attacked by ethanol, and they become saturated. No external float adjustment on the marine carb means constant removal of the bowls to eliminate idle dripping before the proper height is set. You cannot use the numbers for the float set on the Holley site, I think due to the engine angle. In any case they were not right. With soaked floats, you will never get it right. The ethanol also attacks the carb bowl gaskets after a while changing their consistency to garbage. Anyways, a rebuild kit plus floats will save you a lot of headache. The bowl screws were replaced with bolts also, and come in handy. Get to know Skidim, as they have all this stuff. Beyond that the only problem with the Holley is the electric choke. This causes warm start problems if not set with say a quarter inch air gap when closed. When set up right, the 4160 is really decent and performs well.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 ProStar 209
I had a 78, same color as yours I just sold this spring. Let me know if you need any help. Always post pics of any issues. This forum is great and very helpful!