Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-22-2014, 04:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1986 ProStar 351w
Ignition issues

My 1986 prostar is having ignition issues. I've replaced starter solenoid, battery, cables, ignition switch. But still no luck. It will fire once or twice, but once the battery stays hooked up, the ignition circuit breaker keeps popping out. Any ideas?
Old 07-22-2014, 04:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
What do you mean the "once the battery stays hooked up"? I had a loose connection on my main circuit breaker (near the transmission) and it caused similar problems. Make sure everything back there is tight, and clean.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:13 PM
TT Newbie

Catamount- I have to keep the battery easy to disconnect because sometimes it will turn over non stop. I'm checking the connections on that now.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Previously owned 1986 Skier. Current boat 1990 Prostar
If your starter is staying engaged after you let off the starter it can actually be caused by bad battery cables. I had that issue on my 1990. I replaced both the positive cables the one from the battery to the starter solenoid and the one from the solenoid to the starter along with negative (ground) from the battery.
It would seem like the solenoid sticking closed that the problem would be fixed by replacing the solenoid but that did not fix the problem. I believe that on skidem website they even have this noted when searching the solenoid.

At least take the battery cables off and clean the connections real good if you do not want to spend the money on new cables.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Previously owned 1986 Skier. Current boat 1990 Prostar
Skidim not skidem. Sorry

Here is their note on starter relay.
STARTER RELAY
* CAUTION * Test starter after installation.
If starter stays engaged, it is an indication of a low amperage problem. Check both ends of the battery cables and main grounds.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 PM
TT Newbie

I replaced all the cables between battery and starter and solenoid. Still no luck. It doesn't always keep engaging the starter, but every now and then. I've replaced the solenoid twice now and it seems like it does better if I let it sit for a while
Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
did it work properly after you replaced the battery? If you let it sit and it works that might indicate that the battery has time to cool off and ready for another go....
I would put the charger on the battery, let it get good and charged up and see if it does it then... at least eliminate that battery... or charging of the battery
Old 07-22-2014, 09:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Have you cleaned the ground cable at the block. Just had to clean mine up. Wasn't causing a problem..........yet.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-24-2014, 09:10 AM
TT Newbie

I've replaced the battery, cleaned all connections with a dremmel grinding cone. And new ignition switch. New cables everywhere. Still same problem. I then pulled the dash out to fine a few exposed wire ends back there. Not sure what they are supposed to connect to, but I separated them all to be sure they aren't making contact and that may have fixed it. I will try to run it on the lake this weekend to be sure. I currently have no gauges but I want to be sure that the engine will run for more than 20 minutes before I worry about gauges. The temp gauge works so I can feel safe on temp. I'll let y'all know how the weekend goes
Old 08-01-2014, 04:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
You may want to take the starter to an auto parts store and have it tested (for free). Everything you described indicates a solenoid problem, but you've replaced and checked it. Some applications of auto engines in non-auto uses (boats) have redundant solenoids. This is because some starters have the solenoid attached to the outside of the starter, and some have it remote mounted. This can result in two solenoids. Not a problem until one goes bad, and the owner only checks the easiest one to find. It's easy for you to determine if you have two solenoids. Check if your starter has a cylindrical object about 1.5" diameter and a few inches long bulging out from the main circular shape. Hope this helps, at least it's easy to verify.
~Bruce (Detroit Auto Engineer on #3 ski boat)

Tags
circuit breaker, ignition, start, wiring