Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC, 454/425hp
1990 Maristar 240SC Engine Cover Breather/Cub Holder panel

The breather/cup holder panel on the rear of my 1990 Maristar 240SC cuddy engine cover has disintegrated into a thousand pieces. I have attempted to repair it using fiberglass, but it looks crappy. If anyone has one that is in good or ok shape, that would be awesome. Let me know how much.

Thanks in advance.

Below are pics of my boat at Table Rock Lake, MO....and of the cover I am looking for....wish the piece I am looking for looked this good.....it's a mess...
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2014, 11:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
You might want to "dial back" your power washer a bit ??

The interior will last longer.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 AM
TT Newbie

Well, to be honest, I didn't have any pics of the engine cover on my boat, so I just ripped the pic from another post....I NEVER use a power washer on the inside of my boat....way too harsh. Any ideas on the breather/cup holder cover?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Mine is a piece of junk also. I'm contemplating making an all new one from scratch out of wood and resin, then rino-lining it or even trying to paint it. Its a huge eyesore.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 PM
TT Newbie

I feel your pain

I got the top looking kind of 1/2 decent after glassing the crap out of the underside of mine (the top looks kinda ok, the bottom looks like a crime scene), but putting new vinyl on it also presents quite a challenge with the tight and compound radius spots around the breather opening. I ended up trying to cover it 3 times, only to rip the fabric back off in total disgust. Finally took to an upholstery guy, he didn't do much better (and didn't charge me because of how it turned out). I also contemplated fabbing one from teak-wood but had a couple of other projects to complete first. Figured I would reach out here to see if anyone else had one they would part with.

Below is a rough partial sketch of my idea. Oiled natural finished Teak slats would bolt to an aluminum plate 1/4" thick, painted black. The plate would allow for flex when it gets stepped-on which it will, without cracking a piece of wood joined at the bend. Still thinking about the breather-hole other than putting some race-mesh on the backside. Slats could be routed for a more rounded look, and routed for more contour.
Attached Images

Last edited by 6gun; 07-28-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Update