Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-25-2014, 09:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Those are really cool. Does anyone know how the sound compares to the JL speakers that come stock in the 2013 boats?

I personally think the sound from the JLs is great, but I have a 197 WTT and I want to add speakers and a sub in the driver/passenger area. I'm debating whether to try and match what is already in the boat, or just replace the 4 stock with 6 new and a sub.

Really like the LEDs on the Kickers (even though my boat is never out in the dark).
Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
KYfooter,

The JL model in the current MC's, is the 7.7. If you have room to fit that size of speaker, then the better comparison would be to the new Kicker KM8 as opposed to the smaller KM654. The 7.7 and KM8 have a larger mid-bass cone and larger tweeter. This automatically equals more output.

For in-boats, I really prefer to match whats there, especially when they occupy the same area of the boat. Yes, part of it it about aesthetics, but more importantly, is having a consistent sound. Every speaker designer has a unique sound signature. Mixing brands, or even models within a single brand, can yield a detectable difference in sound. So if you are considering a different speaker, plan on replacing them all.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Thanks MLA.