Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
put in bay?

anyone ever taken their MC up there?

also, anyone ever crossed into canada/pelee island on their boat?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Thinking of taking the Star on Lake Erie? Good luck!!

Sent from my New iPad Mini using Tapatalk

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
I second the good luck, not that it is impossible. My concern would be the low nature of the bow in conjunction with 3+ ft waves.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Talking

My in-laws have a place just south of Colchester which is across from Put In Bay by about 23 miles on the Canadian side. I typically take my boat to Lake Erie once or twice a year and it's dicey as to whether we'll actually get to use it. On good days this is some of the best water I've skied on as you can go miles without having to turn around and there are actual cities to visit. The problem is there are not vey many days like this in a year and when it's not good it's typically bad. Water conditions also typically don't stay constant for a whole day.

I've been out to Middle Sister Island a few times which we use for dead reckoning navigation to South Bass Island. This is about 11 miles and is typically where we'll call a go or no go on the rest of the trip. So far I've never made the entire trip with any of my MasterCrafts as they're just not made for the pounding that can occur with the lake conditions I've encountered. For my trip I would need basically a dead wind all day which isn't likely on Lake Erie.

My Lake Erie boating friends and I all have stories about getting caught out is a storm or bad weather. Thankfully mine was in a 20' WellCraft I owned as while pretty scary the boat was of a design to handle the conditions I got caught in. I can tell you I wouldn't have wanted to be out there in my X2.

So can you do it.... sure, coming from OH the prevailing winds will be in your favor and you'll have a lot less distance to travel but you'll still need the right day. You also have a very solid boat of considerable length.

On a side note if you go this weekend we'll be at the cottage on the shore of the prevailing winds. Should something happen and you end up drifting you should end up on our side of the lake. I'll keep an eye out for you!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X2 ss, 2013, ilmor 5.7 OPS, pro package, etc.
When I lived in Detroit we used to go to Put-In Bay several times a year...

Always in 30+ foot Welcrafts, Sea-Rays and the like. I wouldn't even consider it in my X2. There are easier way to commit suicide or have your boat destroyed. The 3+ foot waves mentioned above are on good calm days. I have been out in a lot of nice days where it was 6+ foot waves.

I also remember one 4th of July at Put-In Bay where a couple hundred people stood around and consoled an owner of a 22' bayliner as we watched his boat get pounded to splinters against the dock because a storm brewed up and it was easy 8 foot waves in the lake and 2-3' in the bay. He was trapped by the weather.

Apparently, I have a totally different sense of humor. -- Andrew Eldritch
Old 07-25-2014, 10:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
I grew up on lake Erie, It can be smooth as glass for hours, then a storm blows in and there are 3-5 foot waves and whitecaps. Been in 8-12 footers once out there on our way back from leamington, nasty time double reefed mainsail and the storm jib up. Surf down a wave and plow into the back of the next one. I will not take my boat out there, no way.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Well I've been out here since Thursday now and while Thursday was less than a foot wave yesterday and today have averaged about 2 - 3 footers coming in from the south east. That means it should be about the same or slightly less in the middle of the lake and fairly calm by Sandusky. Have only seen one boat out all weekend.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-15, 1993 Prostar S&S
We used to ski around Peelee Island as kids. Super fun, long runs. Almost always some decent water on one side of the island/point. Have taken the X-15 up to Marblehead a couple of times, mostly skied the back bay and some beach time anchored out front. Thought about going across a couple times, but never tried. Too unpredictable. We were going to follow my buddies 33 Sea Ray. Would never go alone.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-15, 1993 Prostar S&S
Fun place to hang out on a nice day. Fortunately we had protected dockage inside Marblehead for the night.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I remember my father in law telling me he went there in his 18 ft. Mark Twain. First day was great the lake was flat. The second day he took a large wave over the bow as soon as he went outside of the break water near Sandusky.

In my opinion, to risky.

I have seen ProStar's on Presque Isle bay, Erie PA, but it is well protected.