Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-22-2014, 10:13 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnaples View Post
Yes, I currently have all of the ballast completely full front/rear/port/starboard. 40% front - 60% rear ratio. No longer any need to weight just one side. I will have an opportunity in a couple weeks as I head out to the lake for a guys trip. We will have about 8 guys (estimate another +/- 1600 lbs) then we can really play with shifting weight around to see what kind of wave we can get. I will post more pics soon as well as some surfing video. I'm still new to wakesurfing, but I love it! I think I love the challenge of dialing in a perfect wave more than actual surfing right now..... nah... I just love surfing and being on the water!
I'm sorry you are engaging in a sausage fest; please no swimsuit thread post of such an outing!! (yup, it was me!)

Well, it seems what you have done is made an after market gen 2 surf/gate type system that needs some manual effort. While the X2 isn't the best of surf platforms you seem to have made something that works.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-23-2014, 01:42 AM
ssnaples's Avatar
ssnaples ssnaples is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2
Location: Southwest
Posts: 39
I have had a huge amount of interest in this and by popular demand I have attached a few pics of the prototype. Based on the pics alone, you would probably be able to make one. Although it is manually operated, it takes about 10 seconds to setup and has 5 deployment angles to suit your ballast setup and riding style. It does not require any drilling, bolting, or mounting, and so far it has had no adverse effect on the gelcoat.

If anyone is interested in a set made specifically for the X2, please send me a PM. The one that you see is made out of 3/4" plywood. The final design will be made out of 3/4" HDPE and stainless steel/aluminum hardware. A set of 2 will be required if you want to be able to surf both sides of the wake. If you don't want to pull the trigger for both, simply grab one for the side you ride and test it out. If you like it as much as I do, grab one for the other side. Any additional questions, please feel free to PM me.
Attached Images
       
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-23-2014, 02:34 AM
nickespi's Avatar
nickespi nickespi is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Location: South
Posts: 891
What is that adjustable arm you are using?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:26 AM
dt37803's Avatar
dt37803 dt37803 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 2014 X2 5.7 Pro and Surf
Location: Lake Tellico home of MC
Posts: 371
The pivot points for the arm look like a swivel caster with the wheel removed. The arm looks like a tent pole. My concern would be padding it as to not mark up the gel coat.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 AM
geordie-wake geordie-wake is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Boat: 99 Prostar 205v 330 LTR
Location: UK north east
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt37803 View Post
The pivot points for the arm look like a swivel caster with the wheel removed. The arm looks like a tent pole. My concern would be padding it as to not mark up the gel coat.
definitely swivel castors the arm could be a cut down walking stick, padding would be a simple modification maybe a toolchest draw liner or similar glued to the piece that rests against the gelcoat.

Thanks ssnaples for the photos and idea I'm searching for suitable parts now to try this on my 205v
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:57 AM
nickespi's Avatar
nickespi nickespi is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Location: South
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt37803 View Post
The pivot points for the arm look like a swivel caster with the wheel removed. The arm looks like a tent pole. My concern would be padding it as to not mark up the gel coat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie-wake View Post
definitely swivel castors the arm could be a cut down walking stick, padding would be a simple modification maybe a toolchest draw liner or similar glued to the piece that rests against the gelcoat.

Thanks ssnaples for the photos and idea I'm searching for suitable parts now to try this on my 205v
Ahh, you're right guys. I see it now. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-23-2014, 08:11 AM
dt37803's Avatar
dt37803 dt37803 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 2014 X2 5.7 Pro and Surf
Location: Lake Tellico home of MC
Posts: 371
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnaples View Post
I have had a huge amount of interest in this and by popular demand I have attached a few pics of the prototype. Based on the pics alone, you would probably be able to make one. Although it is manually operated, it takes about 10 seconds to setup and has 5 deployment angles to suit your ballast setup and riding style. It does not require any drilling, bolting, or mounting, and so far it has had no adverse effect on the gelcoat.

If anyone is interested in a set made specifically for the X2, please send me a PM. The one that you see is made out of 3/4" plywood. The final design will be made out of 3/4" HDPE and stainless steel/aluminum hardware. A set of 2 will be required if you want to be able to surf both sides of the wake. If you don't want to pull the trigger for both, simply grab one for the side you ride and test it out. If you like it as much as I do, grab one for the other side. Any additional questions, please feel free to PM me.
You must be a design engineer by day !
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-23-2014, 09:23 AM
clrussell's Avatar
clrussell clrussell is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Location: midwest
Posts: 1,876
Well now I'm interested for someone to do this to an x star.. I might have to give it a go for the weekend to see what happens.. Looks easy enough!
__________________
1990 prostar 190, 351, powerslot 1.5:1, tinted windows
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 AM
ac505 ac505 is online now
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Boat: 2000 Xstar
Location: somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 137
how about using a stainless eye to eye turnbuckle, infinite adjustment and readily available. The roll angle looks to be pretty much perpindicular to the gunwales. It would be a little trickier to adjust this on the fly. I'd be inclined to initially try to go with parallel to the transom, until an optimal angle, width and height could be achieved, then start to play with the roll angle.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 AM
ssnaples's Avatar
ssnaples ssnaples is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2
Location: Southwest
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie-wake View Post
definitely swivel castors the arm could be a cut down walking stick, padding would be a simple modification maybe a toolchest draw liner or similar glued to the piece that rests against the gelcoat.

Thanks ssnaples for the photos and idea I'm searching for suitable parts now to try this on my 205v
your observation is indeed correct! As it is, there is no need to put any padding against the gelcoat. believe it or not, there is not much movement. It is wedged between the platform and transom. The pressure against the tab also helps seat it in place. I also have a strap attached to the eyelet as an added safety measure, but that isn't really even needed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2007 x2, ballast setup, surf setup, wake plates, wakesurfing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 PM.