Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
You don't even have to take your pump apart. All you do is pop your plate off on the rocker switch, pop your switch box off the wall or dash, rotate the switch box 180 degrees , reinstall the switch box and then the rocker plate VIOLA pump flow is now reversed.

Or you can do as mentioned and flip the brass head on the pump 180.

So are you saying you have two impellar style pumps for each bag? Are you then saying each pump only has a on or off switch not a 3 position rocker switch, That would be very strange and double the cost for no reason to whomever installed that system. Makes zero sense
Ya PO skimped on install and just put new pumps in. Don't know if he didn't know how to rewire or didn't want to pay extra cost to do it right. At least he upgraded the pumps for me. He left the OEM drain pumps on it. Fills fast but drains slow. I'm going to do it right this winter but for now it works.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Yea, I am with Swatguy. Seems strange that you have one Jabsco pump for filling and another Jabsco for emptying.

Functionally, the Jabsco pumps don't care how they are mounted. They will pump the same sideways, right side up, and upside down. The reason it is best to mount them with the pump head down is that any leaks go into your bilge instead of on top of the motor. There is a spring loaded lip seal that presses into the pump body and seals around the rotating shaft. When theses seals get worn, you will have water leakage.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Yea, I am with Swatguy. Seems strange that you have one Jabsco pump for filling and another Jabsco for emptying.

Functionally, the Jabsco pumps don't care how they are mounted. They will pump the same sideways, right side up, and upside down. The reason it is best to mount them with the pump head down is that any leaks go into your bilge instead of on top of the motor. There is a spring loaded lip seal that presses into the pump body and seals around the rotating shaft. When theses seals get worn, you will have water leakage.
No I just have one Jabsco to fill. I have a cheapy pump to empty (aerator pump is what I think their called) He left the cheap empty pumps on and never switched the wiring to reverse on the Water puppy's he bought.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmc View Post
No I just have one Jabsco to fill. I have a cheapy pump to empty (aerator pump is what I think their called) He left the cheap empty pumps on and never switched the wiring to reverse on the Water puppy's he bought.
Well, then go to that thread I posted and change you wiring system so you can fill and empty with your jabsco pump. You paid for them and they cost a few pennies so you might as well get all you can from them!!

I, we, all assumed you had them wire to both fill and empty.