Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-11-2014, 10:41 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
Did the factory split it or did the dealer? Wondering who has the ability to do it right. Removing the engine was even mentioned. Might be carpet installer but the crack appears to be where the top of the tank connects to the sidewall. Luckily I did buy a 5 yr extended warranty through the dealer.
Regardless of why it happened, why are they denying a warranty claim for something 13 months into a 5 year warranty?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Regardless of why it happened, why are they denying a warranty claim for something 13 months into a 5 year warranty?
I second that Especially with a documented history so far here of at least 3 on this site alone.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 07-11-2014, 12:14 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 85' S&S
The dealer warranty will cover it. And the dealer did it through one of their gelcoat vendors
Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X25 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
I second that Especially with a documented history so far here of at least 3 on this site alone.
MC is saying the warranty is only 12 months - this is coming from the dealer. I thought the 5 yr complete warranty started with the 2014 models. I'm new to team talk and didn't realize there might be a problem with these tanks. We've owned a couple I/O boats but this is the first inboard so the tank thing is new to us. Is the dealer warranty different from the MC warranty? Thx
Old 07-11-2014, 05:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X2
I thought the minimum warranty was 3 years then you could buy an extended for another 3 yrs. My 2012 is that way.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:23 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
MC is saying the warranty is only 12 months - this is coming from the dealer. I thought the 5 yr complete warranty started with the 2014 models. I'm new to team talk and didn't realize there might be a problem with these tanks. We've owned a couple I/O boats but this is the first inboard so the tank thing is new to us. Is the dealer warranty different from the MC warranty? Thx
This isn't about a warranty issue. It's about some knot-head at the factory using the hard tanks to trim carpet during install and using a razor knife on the a plastic hard tank. I'd be driving to to the factory to stand on someone's desk over this kind of poor workmanship!!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Has anyone tried repairing a cracked tank with a plastic welder? When my buddy was into painting motorcycles about 15 years ago, he used one all the time. He could weld an engine shroud or headlight fairing like nobody else. I think it would be worth a shot before splitting a boat in half. You really have nothing to lose, especially if you can borrow a welder.

http://www.eastwood.com/airless-plas...r-model-6.html

CNC routing, Signs, Plaques, 3D carving/turning, Custom Millwork
Old 07-12-2014, 09:53 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X25 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Has anyone tried repairing a cracked tank with a plastic welder? When my buddy was into painting motorcycles about 15 years ago, he used one all the time. He could weld an engine shroud or headlight fairing like nobody else. I think it would be worth a shot before splitting a boat in half. You really have nothing to lose, especially if you can borrow a welder.

http://www.eastwood.com/airless-plas...r-model-6.html
I thought the same and asked dealer about that. He wasn't sure but said as they attempted to remove the tank (which they could not) there isn't much room back there. Said they couldn't even turn tank sideways to get a good look at crack and thought getting any tools in the tight space would be difficult. I going to try to move it around this weekend to see the crack better.

Tags
ballast, broken, cracked