Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-29-2014, 12:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Gadgets are only fun when they work. It seems most of the functions should be very simple PLC programming, and a moderately decent PLC CPU used on process machinery would be rather reliable. It sucks to see so many people struggle with these integrated systems. As others have said you almost wish you had the factory option to have individual systems and gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
+1 for a fully analog dash option. This was my top concern when upgrading, right behind the *unknowns* of Ilmor. I'm not a fan of the integrated electronics at all. Kinda makes me think that Moomba might get some ex-MC peeps from the 80s-early 2000s in the future since they seem to be the only watersports manufacturer that I am aware of who still offers this no frills option in a 2014 model. Ya know, they are ran by a bunch of ex MC folks these days too. I have never driven/ridden one, and this is not an endorsement. I just think that if I can skip the NAV and Bluetooth integration on my Acura, then I should be allowed to skip it in a marine environment too.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 06-29-2014, 08:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
Increased Medallion Failures with .54

I believe you could pull the screen completely.

You'd have to find the dash part that covers the hole. I'd put timers on the pumps and zero off in and drop the screen before I'd pay 3200 to replace it.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
+1 for a fully analog dash option. This was my top concern when upgrading, right behind the *unknowns* of Ilmor. I'm not a fan of the integrated electronics at all. Kinda makes me think that Moomba might get some ex-MC peeps from the 80s-early 2000s in the future since they seem to be the only watersports manufacturer that I am aware of who still offers this no frills option in a 2014 model. Ya know, they are ran by a bunch of ex MC folks these days too. I have never driven/ridden one, and this is not an endorsement. I just think that if I can skip the NAV and Bluetooth integration on my Acura, then I should be allowed to skip it in a marine environment too.

My Nav and Bluetooth work perfect in my avalanche! Not a single problem and it is an 07! I know a reliable system can be made for these boats. What is the saying? "Keep it simple, stupid"

Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by f925 View Post
My Nav and Bluetooth work perfect in my avalanche! Not a single problem and it is an 07! I know a reliable system can be made for these boats. What is the saying? "Keep it simple, stupid"

I agree that it "can be made", but I don't think that the reliability numbers are even close to where they should be, based on this forum and Malibucrew.com. It's a kinda like the integrated TV/VCR option at the moment. When the VCR went out, it just became an eyesore. If I could figure out how to turn the touchscreen into an extra glove box, I'd do it this weekend and just mount Zero Off on the side panel.

"KC"

Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Update: Still in the shop. MC wants my dealer to check a bunch of voltages in various places and then call 'em back. Only three weeks left in my daughter's summer, and my two year old boat has been in the shop for three weeks since March over various quality issues. If MC hits me up for another 3K, then I'll look for an in dash cup holder and go buy something else. Hopefully they will step up to the plate and earn their reputation as a leader. Fingers crossed.

"KC"

Old 07-02-2014, 05:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
Good luck mine goes into the shop on the 8th screen replacement, speedo replacement, plug and okay ballast valves replaced. Fix dash lights
Old 07-08-2014, 06:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Wow...good luck! Mine is in the shop now, and fingers are crossed. We have been chasing gremlins in this thing like moles under a golf course green. I think we almost have them up against a fence though...almost!

"KC"

Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
Well she is the shop just dropped her off. I'll keep you posted!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X-15
My 12 X-15 has these issues, too. Enough people have had these problems for several years now, so it would seem that MC should have them figured out and know what to do. My screen freezes up and PP doesn't work properly. I have the 54 version and a new screen, and that didn't help. I'm going in for help next week. I have zero confidence that they know how to fix it. Other than these worthless electronics, the boat is great. I'm still under factory warranty, so they need to figure it out.