Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-08-2013, 03:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Maristar 225 VRS
GWeaver,

I wish I you had posted this 2 weeks earlier......I have been working on the same fix but your documentation is awesome!
My wife recommended I cut the Styrofoam seat with an electric carving knife, it cut like butter and easily maintained the chalk line. I took out a 4 inch section (from the center) in order to preserve the curvature of the top of the back rest. We reconnected the 2 pieces with carpet glue and wood dowels. (Suggested by my wife also)
We added a 1/2 marine grade plywood base to the bottom of the Styrofoam to create a stronger base.
we used Lowes paint sticks to replace the wood staple strips on the Styrofoam, perfect match on the size and they were held in with liquid nails.

We used plastic cups to measure the height so we could build pvc pedestals (6) to use as feet.

Our intention was to get the seat off the floor and create some (not much) under seat storage.

I'm going to try and post some pictures of the process and a final when I can get one.

LotusV8
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2013, 02:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Roush- You definitely sit up higher. In the old seat the top of the seat would hit me in the lower shoulder blade area. Now it's closer to the lower rib area. My wife is a little concerned about it, but I have a feeling that by the end of the summer, the foam will have compressed a bit. I'm expecting about a 1/2" loss in seat height, which should make it about perfect. If it's still a problem, I might pull the skins and cut out some foam, but I really don't think it'll be that bad.

Lotus- that's a sweet looking interior combo. I like how you saved the seat base, but mine was too far gone. The cushion was complete junk, at least as far as the skin went. I like your idea of having the area under the seat open, allows for storage of larger items. I might think about cutting out part of the front, to allow for storage of larger items, but for now this will work. I'm also thinking about maybe putting some LED lighting under the bench, for night time visibility in the walk ways.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I was a little unsure when I started this project- had a vision, but wasn't sure I could pull it off. Glad it worked out. I think next, I'm going to replace the plywood in the ski lockers.

G
Old 06-09-2013, 10:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
When I had my 83 in the upholstery shop I had them customize my rear seat too. Although I didn't have the storage area, being able to remove the middle cushion was a huge benefit.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by liledgy View Post
When I had my 83 in the upholstery shop I had them customize my rear seat too. Although I didn't have the storage area, being able to remove the middle cushion was a huge benefit.
Very nice work.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 190, 285 hp HO, 1:1
That looks sharp. Your efforts paid off.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Thanks for posting in the other thread! I couldn't find your original thread until now.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:17 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1982 Mastercraft S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Wow! Great work and great ideas in this project.

I have often thought about a similar setup but I have not had time to tackle it. I bought an extra used rear seat to try my ideas without destroying the original. This gives me some motivation and I may use some of your ideas if you don't mind.
where did you purchase your extra rear seat from?
Old 06-27-2014, 11:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 200, 1990, Mercury Black Max 200
Found it on Craigslist. An area ski team was not using it in their boat and had it for sale.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 AM
TT Newbie

what keywords did you use to find it? I've been looking for one for a while now for my 1982 and can't seem to find one anywhere.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:26 AM
TT Newbie

Or if you could could you post the dimensions of the rear bench seat on here so i could possible fabricate one myself